09 February 2019 | Garraf
18 April 2015 | Port d'Aiguadolç, Sitges
08 November 2014 | Port d'Aiguadolç, Sitges
03 November 2014 | Port d'Aiguadolç, Sitges
28 August 2014 | Port d'Aiguadolç
10 August 2012 | Port d'Aiguadolç
30 June 2012 | Port d'Aiguadolç (Sitges)
28 May 2012 | Port Ginesta
08 April 2012 | Port Ginesta
04 March 2012 | Port Ginesta
22 January 2012 | Port Ginesta
02 April 2011 | Port Ginesta
20 March 2011 | Port Ginesta
12 September 2010 | Port Ginesta - Marina de Badalona
30 August 2010 | Port Ginesta
15 August 2010 | Port Ginesta
19 July 2010 | Port Ginesta
16 May 2010 | Port Ginesta
10 April 2010 | Port Ginesta

Companionway Refurbishment (II)

27 July 2007 | Port Ginesta
Tom
The second phase in the companionway refurbishment project concerned the sliding hatch itself. The old varnish on the hatch was in pretty bad condition after several years of sun and salt.
First thing to do was to get the hatch removed. For that, I had to dismount the sprayhood and remove the fiberglass cover with the navigation instruments housing. As can be seen on the photograph, the sliding hatch was attached with a piece of steel cable to the back of the housing. I thoroughly cleaned the entire area of dirt and caulk and replaced the cable with a piece of strong rope and a pair of shackles in order to be able to easily remove the hatch afterwards without having to dismount the whole housing on top of it.
While the cover was removed, I had the bad luck that in that short lapse of time it started to rain a little bit and some water dripped in through the screw holes and found its way right onto my radio-mp3 player at the chart table! I was afraid the thing was lost for good as it didn't want to play any of my music anymore. Luckily, after unmounting, drying and mounting again, it miraclously revived.
Then for the refurbishment of the wood itself. Slowly, I removed all of the old varnish by means of a combination of a heat gun and a chemical paint stripper. After sanding, I managed to turn the entire hatch into clean fresh teak wood.
Next, using a small screwdriver I removed all the old, hardened black caulk separations between the planks of wood. When all the rests of caulk had been removed and the grooves were completely clean, I applied a special "Sika Primer 290DC" to them.
After the primer had dried I could then fill up the grooves with new black Sika 290DC caulk. I made sure to put on a generous amount of caulk, as once hardened it could easily be machine-sanded level with the wood. The result was perfect.
Left to do was to finish the hatch with 6 coats of marine varnish, just as I did with the frame and handles as explained in a previous post.
Comments
Vessel Name: Iris
Vessel Make/Model: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Hailing Port: Port d'Aiguadolç (Sitges)
Crew: Tom Creemers