Sailing the Caribbean

17 November 2023 | New Braunfels Texas
14 August 2023 | New Braunfels
11 February 2023 | Turtle Grass Marina Calablash Bight Roatan Honduras
25 December 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
31 October 2022 | New Braunfels, Texas
07 August 2022 | Gruene New Braunfels Texas
13 June 2022 | Home in New Braunfels
16 April 2022 | The Reserve Marina Sapodilla Lagoon, Beilize
19 February 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
15 December 2021 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce, Guatemala
29 October 2021 | New Braunfels, Texaa
13 August 2021 | New Braunfels, Texas
30 May 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
17 March 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
14 December 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
28 September 2020 | New Braunfels, Texaa
10 June 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
19 May 2020 | The Reserve Marina in Sapodilla Lagoon in Belize

Recovering in Texas

09 October 2016 | River Ranch RV Resort New Braunfels
Bert - Clear Morning and only 52 deg but will improve to 84 deg
Recovery, we believe is a process where everything with time heals all the wounds and you get a little better every day. The reality is more two steps forward and one step back or even one step forward and two steps back. Good days and bad days follow each other, but over time things start to improve. In my case the wound care was the big issue. After my second surgery the outside incision was enlarged so that the inside of the wound, about 3.5 inches deep, could be better packed. My family took care of my wound every other day, but then a wound center took over. It was great to be treated by these specialists and I felt a lot better once this part of the recovery was under control. After a couple of weeks the doctor was of the opinion that the wound was healing so well that Dorothy could take over the daily care. This worked fine until I got a major setback and the pain became again unbearable. My doctor was not available and a colleague in his practice gave me again a very heavy pain killer with my promise not to abuse it and advised to stop packing the wound as not to irritate the wound any further. After this episode the recovery went better and a couple of weeks later the doctor gave me even permission to start swimming again. During my last visit to the doctor he still found a small area where the wound did not want to heal and he irritated the area to stimulate the healing. I write this blog 3 days before our departure to Panama and I feel great and I am very excited to go back to Island Girl.

What else did we do during the close to 3 months stay in New Braunfels Texas? To be honest we did not do a lot of exciting things. The pain caused by the wound and the constant back pain reduced my desire for a lot of activities. But we took every morning a nice walk through the historic "City of Gruene". My son against all recommendations and advice started light training again and was very determined to go to the World Championship "Ironman 70.3" in Australia. We watched their house and four dogs and took two of them walking with us every morning. This walk takes about 1 hour and it became harder and harder for the oldest dog so we ended up walking only with one and to be honest our favorite called "Teddy". Teddy is a labradoodle, a crossbreed dog created by crossing the "Labrador Retriever" and the Standard, Miniature or Toy Poodle. So after I was allowed to start swimming again I had a busy morning program:
• 5:10 am waking up and driving to the swimming pool.
• 5:30 am swimming my 20 laps in Resolute Fitness Center
• 6:20 am arriving home and have some tea with a slice of "Mango Cranberry Almond Bread"
• 7:00 am start our walk to Gruene.
• 8:15 am shopping at HEB the largest Grocery Store chain in Texas.
• 9:00 am breakfast
Sounds boring, yes compared to the cruising life it may be, but we enjoyed it every morning and it helped me to regain some muscle strength.

Yes our son Robert went to Australia to participate in the World Championship Ironman 70.3. His bike was not repaired yet so we assumed he would only swim some distance and then bail out of the race. But no he bought a new bike in Australia for a price of $5.000.00 more than a KIA car displayed on the commercial of this bike and continued the race. He even completed the run and his total time far less than normal was 6:00:10 hours. He leaves on the same day as we will return to Panama for an Iron Man race in Hefei in China.

Like I always do on the boat and now on the RV I look for improvements and repairs. Two projects were very necessary with the extreme heat in the month of August in Texas. The A/C in the RV could not handle the daily 100 to 110 deg and around 4:00 in the afternoon it was 98 deg inside. So we bought two awnings for our slide-outs and our friends Kitty and Kurt did the installation. A professional installer installed a second A/C and I improved on the inside the insulation. These improvements took care of the temperature problems and living in our RV became very comfortable.
In my previous blog "Back in Texas" I wrote about our campsite along the Guadeloupe River. I wrote how dangerous the river can be when during the rainy seasons the water can reach well above the banks and exceed "normal" levels, in which case it can become life threateningly dangerous due to swift currents. This happened to us on the day our friends Kitty and Kurt installed our "Slide-out Toppers". At 11:00 in the evening we were awakened by the camp manager with the message from the police to evacuate the campground due to expected high water. With no truck to pull RV to higher ground and my son Robert with his truck on the coast, we called our friends Kitty and Kurt who came with their truck and pulled the RV to their property and after connecting it to water and electricity we went back to bed at 2:30 in the morning. We left the RV on their property until Robert and his family returned from Australia and went back to the campground. Summer season comes in the USA to an end after "Labor Day" the first Monday in September and we got a nice place on the campground for a reduced price.

My son Robert has on the Texas coast on the barrier island called "Mustang Island" in the city of "Port Aransas" a nice beach townhome, a 46 ft. deep water fishing boat and a Bass boat. Dorothy and I are not real fishing people but we love to spend time on the beach. We invited Kitty and Kurt to go with us for a couple of days and have a fishing trip offshore to the oil and gas rigs. Around these rigs is a great area for deep water fishing. Of course we took "Teddy" the labradoodle to join us for our morning beach walk and had a great time. It turned out that "Russell" Robert's captain of the deep water fishing boat is not only a good fishing captain but a great tour guide who entertained us daily with tours through the islands. Although it may not have been a great fishing success we all enjoyed the deep water fishing tour about 60 miles offshore in the area of a gas pump rig. We caught 2 large barracudas, but not a flying fish we all hoped for. On one of the old abandoned platforms Kitty and Kurt made a deep water dive, but the water was not as clear as we are used to in the Caribbean.

We made several trips in the Texas Hill Country and although we lived for over 21 years in Texas we are still overwhelmed by the beauty of the area. One of the major tourist attractions is Fredericksburg. Fredericksburg was founded in 1846 and named after Prince Frederick of Prussia. Old-time German residents often referred to Fredericksburg as Fritztown, a nickname that is still used in some businesses. The town is also notable as the home of Texas German, a dialect spoken by the first generations of German settlers who initially refused to learn English. Fredericksburg shares many cultural characteristics with New Braunfels, which had been established by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels the previous year. Fredericksburg is the birthplace of Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz. On October 14, 1970, the Fredericksburg Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in Texas.

Our grandchildren are growing fast and 2 of the 6 are already living independently and enjoying the lives of young adults. Our grandson Justin 23 years old now calls himself our "Grand Adult" instead of grandchild. Our grandson Jack 17 departed this week to the Philippines for a month to do some wake boarding with friends. Other trips are already planned for a year of fun before going to college. Kristin our 18-year-old granddaughter is in her senior year, has a part time job to be able to pay for the car Uncle Robert bought for her. Max attends middle school and started playing American Football and Dorothy and I went for the first time in our lives to an American Football game and saw Max scoring a touchdown. Our youngest granddaughter Katelynn 12 years is in the early stages of being a teenager and is a lot of fun to be with. These past 3 months were unique for us. We spend so much time with our children and grandchildren that this time saying goodbye will be very hard.

When I arrived in Houston from Panama on July 17 my daughter Dominique picked me up from the airport and took me to the hospital and stayed with me the entire time I was there. She took so good care of me. And now it is our turn to help her out. She fell last week and sustained a femoral head fracture spent 4 days in the hospital, needs to walk on crutches for at least 8 weeks. We needed to make some alterations in her bathroom at home to make it comfortable for her. She is doing better, but still has a lot of pain when she tries to do too much.

As good sailors we practiced to put the cover on our RV before leaving "a safe anchorage". On Monday our RV we call "Land Man" goes in Storage and we will return to "Island Girl". Instead of a paid storage facility "Land Man" will go to the property of a good friend and former co-worker Richard who has a ranch in St. Hedwig Texas. This town was founded by John Demmer in 1852 when he moved to the area from his native Silesia. In 1856 four more Silesians immigrated to the area and built the site's first Catholic Church, Annunciation. In 1860 a post office called Cottage Hill opened, but was later renamed St. Hedwig after the patron saint of Silesia. By 1868 the community had built a stone church, and in 1897 the town boasted 200 families mainly from Poland and Germany.

We are very anxious in which condition we will find "Island Girl" upon our return this week and we hope that she is in a good condition so we can continue our trip in the Caribbean and we will describe this in our next blog.
Comments
Vessel Name: Island Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38
Hailing Port: Miami Beach, FL
Crew: Dorothy and Bert Dorrestyn
About:
Dorothy and Bert retired after 45 years in the work force. After many years of traveling all over the world we settled in The United States and lived in San Antonio, Mico all in Texas. [...]
Home Page: https://www.facebook.com/
Social:
Island Girl's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 21 February 2024
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2023
42 Photos
Created 14 August 2023
Our 2022 Trip from New Braunfels to Rio Dulce, Guatemala
14 Photos
Created 25 December 2022
13 Photos
Created 6 August 2022
31 Photos
Created 15 April 2022
17 Photos
Created 19 February 2022
32 Photos
Created 15 December 2021
27 Photos
Created 28 October 2021
14 Photos
Created 12 August 2021
20 Photos
Created 30 May 2021
25 Photos
Created 17 March 2021
5 Photos
Created 10 June 2020
16 Photos
Created 19 May 2020
29 Photos
Created 26 March 2020
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2020
21 Photos
Created 27 December 2019
19 Photos
Created 12 October 2019
The building of our new home
34 Photos
Created 12 August 2019
31 Photos
Created 8 May 2019
32 Photos
Created 26 February 2019
11 Photos
Created 10 December 2018
8 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 9 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 June 2018
32 Photos
Created 4 June 2018
26 Photos
Created 1 April 2018
50 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
14 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
71 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
26 Photos
Created 13 October 2017
16 Photos
Created 3 September 2017
Guatemala and Back to Texas in June 2017
37 Photos
Created 18 June 2017
32 Photos
Created 20 May 2017
26 Photos
Created 12 May 2017
Our Visit to Guanaja Honduras
34 Photos
Created 30 April 2017
Our visit to Isla San Andres Colombia in March 2017
38 Photos
Created 21 March 2017
37 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
37 Photos
Created 13 January 2017
67 Photos
Created 4 December 2016
37 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
32 Photos
Created 9 October 2016
12 Photos
Created 18 August 2016
2016 Visit to Texas
42 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
22 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
15 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
30 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
28 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
38 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
31 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
21 Photos
Created 21 April 2016
29 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
43 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
30 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
26 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 January 2016
43 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
Our visit to Cartagena des Indias in November 2015
52 Photos
Created 25 November 2015
47 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
26 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
Visit to Bogota October 20 - 23 2015
53 Photos
Created 26 October 2015
39 Photos
Created 7 October 2015
Bonaire 2015
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Grenada 2015
20 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Trip from St. Lucia to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 23 June 2015
28 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
30 Photos
Created 14 May 2015
Dominica 2015
28 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
Les Saintes Guadeloupe
32 Photos
Created 20 April 2015
Leaving Antigua back to Guadeloupe
33 Photos
Created 30 March 2015
ntigua and Barbuda
28 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
Saba, the Unspoiled Queen
31 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
St. Croix to St. Maarten Simpson Bay
23 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
Farewell Bonaire and Hello St. Croix
28 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
36 Photos
Created 23 November 2014
Bonaire – Our First Month
39 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
22 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
Sailing South from St Lucia to Grenada
38 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
Sailing South from Antigua to St. Lucia
22 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
Our visit to Antigua
41 Photos
Created 24 April 2014
Sailing North from Martinique to Antigua
26 Photos
Created 9 April 2014
Sailing North Trinidad to Martinique
11 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Trinidad Land Trip and Haul-out
30 Photos
Created 13 March 2014
Trinidad Carnival
33 Photos
Created 11 March 2014
Trinidad a Lot of Work and Some Fun
39 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
Tobago
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
Farewell Suriname – Back to the Caribbean
44 Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Suriname - Back Home
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2014
Suriname - The Re-discovery Continued
34 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Suriname - “A sentimental journey to renew old memories”
34 Photos
Created 2 November 2013
Bartica and Georgetown – Guyana
49 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
Guyana Essequibo River
18 Photos
Created 11 October 2013
Living in Grenada
31 Photos
Created 28 September 2013
A Roller Coaster Visit to the USA
45 Photos
Created 31 August 2013
Work and Fun in Grenada
30 Photos
Created 20 July 2013
Grenada 6/26/2013 - 7/8/2013
36 Photos
Created 8 July 2013
Moving fast to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 28 June 2013
St. Lucia
44 Photos
Created 16 June 2013
Martinique
42 Photos
Created 4 June 2013
St. Pierre - Martinique
49 Photos
Created 24 May 2013
Dominica
37 Photos
Created 16 May 2013
Marie Galante and The Saints
27 Photos
Created 7 May 2013
Guadeloupe Land Trips
43 Photos
Created 30 April 2013
Nevis, Montserrat, Guadeloupe
43 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
St. Christopher - St. Kitts
30 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
St. Eustatius
44 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
St. Barthelemy – St. Barth
33 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
St. Maarten - St. Martin
46 Photos
Created 26 March 2013
British Virgin Islands Continued
37 Photos
Created 15 March 2013
British Virgin Islands
25 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
St. John - US Virgin Islands
28 Photos
Created 2 March 2013
St. Thomas US Virgin Islands
26 Photos
Created 21 February 2013
Spanish Virgin Islands
32 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
41 Photos
Created 5 February 2013
24 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Dominican Republic Land Trip
43 Photos
Created 16 January 2013
Luperon Dominican Republic
9 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
Turks and Caicos Sapodilla Bay
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2012
George Town Exumas
16 Photos
Created 24 December 2012
Preparations and departure
7 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
Bert and Dorothy Dorrestyn, The Crew of Island Girl
7 Photos
Created 20 October 2012
Haul-out
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2012