Sailing the Caribbean

17 November 2023 | New Braunfels Texas
14 August 2023 | New Braunfels
11 February 2023 | Turtle Grass Marina Calablash Bight Roatan Honduras
25 December 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
31 October 2022 | New Braunfels, Texas
07 August 2022 | Gruene New Braunfels Texas
13 June 2022 | Home in New Braunfels
16 April 2022 | The Reserve Marina Sapodilla Lagoon, Beilize
19 February 2022 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
15 December 2021 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce, Guatemala
29 October 2021 | New Braunfels, Texaa
13 August 2021 | New Braunfels, Texas
30 May 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
17 March 2021 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce Guatemala
14 December 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
28 September 2020 | New Braunfels, Texaa
10 June 2020 | RAM Marina - Rio Dulce
19 May 2020 | The Reserve Marina in Sapodilla Lagoon in Belize

Rio Dulce Comfortable on the Hard

13 October 2017 | RAM Marina Rio Dulce Guatemala
Bert - Steaming Hot no wind and thunderstorms
We arrived a little over a month ago in Fronteras on the Rio Dulce, Guatemala and found Island Girl in excellent condition on the hard. On the hard means the boat is out of the water and is supported by stands to keep the boat standing straight. When I climbed on board I got a strange feeling that we were sailing because it felt that the boat was heeling. Since early in the morning an earthquake hit Mexico and the trembles were felt all over Guatemala, we presumed that the heeling was caused by the quake. But the travel lift operator and his crew who came with the travel lift to straighten the boat told us that it was due to the heavy rain and high winds when Harvey passed by offshore.

So, although we did not have a lot of damage from the hurricanes, like our son whose condo in Port Aransas in Texas was in 4 feet of water and his 49-ft. fishing vessel was heavily damaged, we had 3 personal events related to 2 hurricanes. Island Girl heeling in Guatemala, we had to evacuate with our travel trailer Landman due to potential flooding along the Guadalupe River; at our new campground the soil underneath the RV became so saturated with water from the heavy rain and wind that the RV started to “sink” on one side. I had to lift the RV with a jack during the soaking rain to put some boards under the wheels and last but not least our condo in Miami Beach got water intrusion during hurricane Irma.

When we arrived in Guatemala it was clear that the country was preparing for its Independence Day celebration which was on September 15. Everywhere on the streets, in the malls and stores all sizes of the national flag were for sale. The territory of modern Guatemala once formed the core of the Maya civilization, which extended across Mesoamerica. Most of the country was conquered by the Spanish in the 16th century, becoming part of the viceroyalty of New Spain. Guatemala attained independence in 1821 as part of the Federal Republic of Central America, which dissolved in 1841.

Guatemala is a country in Central America bordered by Mexico to the north and west, the Pacific Ocean to the southwest, Belize to the northeast, the Caribbean to the east, Honduras to the east and El Salvador to the southeast. With an estimated population of around 16.6 million, it is the most populated state in Central America. Guatemala is a representative democracy; its capital and largest city is Nueva Guatemala de la Asunción, also known as Guatemala City.
Guatemala is mountainous with small patches of desert and sand dunes, all hilly valleys, except for the south coast and the vast northern lowlands of the Petén department. Two mountain chains enter Guatemala from west to east, dividing Guatemala into three major regions: the highlands, where the mountains are located; the Pacific coast, south of the mountains and the Petén region, north of the mountains. All major cities are located in the highlands and Pacific coast regions; by comparison, Petén is sparsely populated. These three regions vary in climate, elevation, and landscape, providing dramatic contrasts between hot, humid tropical lowlands and colder, drier highland peaks. Volcán Tajumulco, at 4,220 meters (13,850 feet), is the highest point in the Central American countries.

The road from Guatemala City to the Rio Dulce crosses a very beautiful part of the country. The road starts in a very crowded city and apart from large through-avenues has very narrow streets; however, most are one-way. The city is in the mountains and on rainy days with a lot clouds it is for us very cold (54 to 65 degrees F). Rio Dulce is hot and steamy with temperatures in the 90’s. The road is mostly very good but changes after 45 miles from a 4-lane highway to only 2 lanes. The road passes the continental divide and the road is in the process of being completely reconstructed which makes the road for about 20 miles a small dirt road with massive excavations that cause mud and rock slides in heavy rains. The roadway goes sometimes a couple of feet along deep cliffs and is rather scary, but the views are beautiful. The bus trip takes between 6 and 8 hours.

The rivers are short and shallow in the Pacific drainage basin, larger and deeper in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico drainage basins. These rivers include the Polochic and Dulce Rivers, which drain into Lake Izabal, the Motagua River, the Sarstún, which forms the boundary with Belize, and the Usumacinta River, which forms the boundary between Petén and Chiapas, Mexico.

In September and October, it is still very hot and humid in Rio Dulce. The problem for the crew on a boat on the hard is that you cannot use the on-board facilities and you have to use the marina’s public bathrooms. Since you have to climb down the ladder from the boat you cannot reach these facilities fast, which is for my condition a big problem. So, we rented a room in one of the guesthouses RAM Marina has available. The guesthouse has a large living and dining area, a kitchen and two guestrooms with two bathrooms. Except for 3 days we had the guesthouse all to ourselves, so for a month we lived in a ‘real house’. Dorothy moved most of her special kitchen gear to the guesthouse so she could cook our favorite meals. The other wonderful thing was that our boat was just next to the guesthouse, so I could just walk in for lunch, coffee break or simply to cool off.

We have 2 a/c’s on board of Island Girl, but on the hard you cannot use them since they are water cooled. We purchased in the village a small 5000 BTU window a/c that we built into our bedroom hatch onboard. This a/c keeps the entire boat pleasantly cool during the day and cold during the night and thus offers great sleeping conditions. So, we were ready to move back to the boat and adjust to living on a boat on the hard.

RAM Marina is a service yard. Most of its dock facilities are for local power boats, but it has a storage and maintenance yard for over 150 boats and most of them are owned by cruisers who use the summer months and hurricane season to go to their home country and leave the boat behind. In October a lot of cruisers start to come back to start working on their boat projects. During our absence the keel damage we incurred after running Island Girl on a reef in San Andres was repaired and the bottom painted. Just before we left for Texas a few local workers did some varnish work on our teak, but it was my intention to complete the job.

While I started on the varnishing of the teak, the mechanics came on board to install the parts we brought from the USA to repair our generator. During the testing they discovered that the teeth on the flywheel had a lot of damage and we decided to de-install the generator and bring it to the workshop. In the shop we found that the generator had a lot of other problems and needed many other parts. If we had known this before deciding to repair the generator we had purchased a new one instead.

To go shopping or visiting the local restaurants in Fronteras you can use the dinghy and cross the Rio Dulce or order a Tuk-Tuk (see our pictures) to go over the high bridge. Tuk-Tuks are very cheap, but the cost is adding up. So, we decided to lower the dinghy from the davits on the boat and put it in the water. When the boat was heeling water was collected in the dinghy and filled the fuel tank up to the rim with water. I removed the water from the tank, the hoses and the carburetor, but the outboard did not run very trustworthy. A mechanic came and cleaned the carburetor, but the next day the problem was even worse. He came back and found a little piece of silicon that interfered with the fuel flow. We can now use the dinghy again and it makes shopping in the village so much easier and it is refreshing to cross the river in the open dinghy and feel wind on your overheated body.

Hurricane Irma visited Miami Beach with as we understood with over 100 miles of wind in the period between the signing of the sales contract and the closing which was planned for October 3, 2017. On the day the hurricane hit we followed information on the internet and Twitter the entire day to get some update and predictions. Our building was the last building in Miami Beach to get the power restored only after 5 days on Friday, but the elevators and the a/c did not work. The property manager did not allow anyone to enter the building, but both our real-estate agent and the manager reported water and wind damage to the ground floor. On Saturday our real-estate agent finally had access to the building and reported that both bedrooms and the living room had water intrusion, wall damage and there were still water puddles on the floor. The building maintenance man fixed the problems and the new buyer did not request a new inspection so the closing could be done as planned.

We signed a power of attorney for our son Robert so he could take care of the closing, but on Friday before the closing the following week we were told that the title company did not accept the power of attorney and sent us all the closing documents by e-mail and we had to go to the American Embassy in Guatemala City to get the documents notarized. So, we left on Sunday for a 7 hours bus drive to the city. There was no road construction going on the road over the mountains, the sun was shining and it was a wonderful trip. Guatemala is such a beautiful country and we enjoy the views. We had an appointment at the embassy on 1:30PM, but it was not really an appointment since a lot of people had and appointment at the same time. So, we had to take a take a number and waited to be called. First, we had to pay the $300.00 fee, but the cashier had some problems, so we had to wait again. The lady who helped us notarize the documents was wonderful, friendly and efficient, but we had 6 documents to be processed. Two local staff ladies were our witnesses, very friendly, had no idea what was going on, but they signed the documents.

Then we went with a taxi to the FedEx office to get an overnight shipment. This was a trip far away from the embassy in a city where traffic is only crawling. When we arrived on the location of the FedEx office it was an empty muddy field in the middle of nowhere. It turned out that the office was moved to a new business park with a new entrance a mile further down the road. It was a huge business park, but we found the office. However, too late for an overnight shipment and the closing had to be delayed by a day. We had to sign a new document to allow a delay of the closing and our buyer did not have any objections.

The next morning after a great breakfast we got on the bus and this time it was an 8-hour bus ride back to the Rio Dulce. Work on the road in the mountains was in full swing and we were standing still for 45 minutes due a road block on both sides. It was raining heavily so we think it was a mudslide, which happens a lot this time of the year. Just after 5:00PM we arrived back in the guesthouse with no room mates, but information that we had to vacate our room the following Monday to make place for guests who made reservations many months in advance.

We moved out of the guesthouse and brought all our belongings back on Island Girl and on Monday Night October 9, 2017 a little over a month after our arrival in Rio Dulce we slept in our own beds for the first time since June 13, 2017. With our great working a/c is was really nice to be back home again.

Rio Dulce attracts during the hurricane season around 400 cruising boats. Many cruisers are coming back year after year to this location. Not only because it is the best hurricane protected area, but it offers a great amount of mooring and marina facilities. The cost of boat maintenance is extremely low and cannot be compared to any other locations. At the same time the skill levels of the available engineers and boat workers is very high and they are extremely proud of a job well done. We have experienced the people of Guatemala as extremely friendly and helpful and that shows every day here in RAM Marina and the village. We have profound respect for the investors here who had many years ago the vision to build this cruisers paradise. A lot of the people who came and never left are real characters. We have not met them since we spent most of the evenings home after a hard day of working in the heat, but heard about them during contacts with fellow cruisers and in the mornings on the radio cruisers network.

Now that most of the maintenance work is done it gets time to meet these people, start making some day trips and prepare for our 2 weeks road trip through the highlands, many historic Maya sites in the jungle. This trip starts on October 29, 2017 and we hope to be able to report to you in our next blog.

Comments
Vessel Name: Island Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38
Hailing Port: Miami Beach, FL
Crew: Dorothy and Bert Dorrestyn
About:
Dorothy and Bert retired after 45 years in the work force. After many years of traveling all over the world we settled in The United States and lived in San Antonio, Mico all in Texas. [...]
Home Page: https://www.facebook.com/
Social:
Island Girl's Photos - Main
16 Photos
Created 21 February 2024
15 Photos
Created 16 November 2023
42 Photos
Created 14 August 2023
Our 2022 Trip from New Braunfels to Rio Dulce, Guatemala
14 Photos
Created 25 December 2022
13 Photos
Created 6 August 2022
31 Photos
Created 15 April 2022
17 Photos
Created 19 February 2022
32 Photos
Created 15 December 2021
27 Photos
Created 28 October 2021
14 Photos
Created 12 August 2021
20 Photos
Created 30 May 2021
25 Photos
Created 17 March 2021
5 Photos
Created 10 June 2020
16 Photos
Created 19 May 2020
29 Photos
Created 26 March 2020
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2020
21 Photos
Created 27 December 2019
19 Photos
Created 12 October 2019
The building of our new home
34 Photos
Created 12 August 2019
31 Photos
Created 8 May 2019
32 Photos
Created 26 February 2019
11 Photos
Created 10 December 2018
8 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 9 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 June 2018
32 Photos
Created 4 June 2018
26 Photos
Created 1 April 2018
50 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
14 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
71 Photos
Created 29 November 2017
26 Photos
Created 13 October 2017
16 Photos
Created 3 September 2017
Guatemala and Back to Texas in June 2017
37 Photos
Created 18 June 2017
32 Photos
Created 20 May 2017
26 Photos
Created 12 May 2017
Our Visit to Guanaja Honduras
34 Photos
Created 30 April 2017
Our visit to Isla San Andres Colombia in March 2017
38 Photos
Created 21 March 2017
37 Photos
Created 17 February 2017
37 Photos
Created 13 January 2017
67 Photos
Created 4 December 2016
37 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
32 Photos
Created 9 October 2016
12 Photos
Created 18 August 2016
2016 Visit to Texas
42 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
22 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
15 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
30 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
28 Photos
Created 23 April 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
38 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
31 Photos
Created 22 April 2016
21 Photos
Created 21 April 2016
29 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
43 Photos
Created 28 February 2016
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
31 Photos
Created 27 February 2016
30 Photos
Created 2 February 2016
26 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 1 February 2016
40 Photos
Created 31 January 2016
43 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
Our visit to Cartagena des Indias in November 2015
52 Photos
Created 25 November 2015
47 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
26 Photos
Created 14 November 2015
Visit to Bogota October 20 - 23 2015
53 Photos
Created 26 October 2015
39 Photos
Created 7 October 2015
Bonaire 2015
17 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Grenada 2015
20 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
Trip from St. Lucia to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 23 June 2015
28 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
30 Photos
Created 14 May 2015
Dominica 2015
28 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
Les Saintes Guadeloupe
32 Photos
Created 20 April 2015
Leaving Antigua back to Guadeloupe
33 Photos
Created 30 March 2015
ntigua and Barbuda
28 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
Saba, the Unspoiled Queen
31 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
St. Croix to St. Maarten Simpson Bay
23 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
Farewell Bonaire and Hello St. Croix
28 Photos
Created 15 December 2014
36 Photos
Created 23 November 2014
Bonaire – Our First Month
39 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
22 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
Sailing South from St Lucia to Grenada
38 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
Sailing South from Antigua to St. Lucia
22 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
Our visit to Antigua
41 Photos
Created 24 April 2014
Sailing North from Martinique to Antigua
26 Photos
Created 9 April 2014
Sailing North Trinidad to Martinique
11 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Trinidad Land Trip and Haul-out
30 Photos
Created 13 March 2014
Trinidad Carnival
33 Photos
Created 11 March 2014
Trinidad a Lot of Work and Some Fun
39 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
Tobago
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2014
Farewell Suriname – Back to the Caribbean
44 Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Suriname - Back Home
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2014
Suriname - The Re-discovery Continued
34 Photos
Created 24 November 2013
Suriname - “A sentimental journey to renew old memories”
34 Photos
Created 2 November 2013
Bartica and Georgetown – Guyana
49 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
Guyana Essequibo River
18 Photos
Created 11 October 2013
Living in Grenada
31 Photos
Created 28 September 2013
A Roller Coaster Visit to the USA
45 Photos
Created 31 August 2013
Work and Fun in Grenada
30 Photos
Created 20 July 2013
Grenada 6/26/2013 - 7/8/2013
36 Photos
Created 8 July 2013
Moving fast to Grenada
22 Photos
Created 28 June 2013
St. Lucia
44 Photos
Created 16 June 2013
Martinique
42 Photos
Created 4 June 2013
St. Pierre - Martinique
49 Photos
Created 24 May 2013
Dominica
37 Photos
Created 16 May 2013
Marie Galante and The Saints
27 Photos
Created 7 May 2013
Guadeloupe Land Trips
43 Photos
Created 30 April 2013
Nevis, Montserrat, Guadeloupe
43 Photos
Created 22 April 2013
St. Christopher - St. Kitts
30 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
St. Eustatius
44 Photos
Created 8 April 2013
St. Barthelemy – St. Barth
33 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
St. Maarten - St. Martin
46 Photos
Created 26 March 2013
British Virgin Islands Continued
37 Photos
Created 15 March 2013
British Virgin Islands
25 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
St. John - US Virgin Islands
28 Photos
Created 2 March 2013
St. Thomas US Virgin Islands
26 Photos
Created 21 February 2013
Spanish Virgin Islands
32 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
41 Photos
Created 5 February 2013
24 Photos
Created 31 January 2013
Dominican Republic Land Trip
43 Photos
Created 16 January 2013
Luperon Dominican Republic
9 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
Turks and Caicos Sapodilla Bay
9 Photos
Created 30 December 2012
George Town Exumas
16 Photos
Created 24 December 2012
Preparations and departure
7 Photos
Created 7 December 2012
Bert and Dorothy Dorrestyn, The Crew of Island Girl
7 Photos
Created 20 October 2012
Haul-out
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2012