S/V ISLAND SIREN

24 December 2008
11 October 2008 | Trellsi Bay
30 August 2008
19 July 2008
10 July 2008
11 June 2008
23 May 2008
12 May 2008 | BVI
05 May 2008
28 April 2008
24 April 2008
17 April 2008
04 April 2008
27 March 2008
23 March 2008
17 March 2008
13 March 2008
10 March 2008
08 March 2008

On the Hard again

10 July 2008
July 10
We once again are living on the hard on Island Siren. But the comedy continues. On Monday I went over to the boat yard to find out when they wanted to haul us out. Was told around 10 that morning. At 10 I went back just to make sure, yep, was told don't think we can do it today, but we will get it first thing in the morning. So next day we bring Island Siren in at around 9 to be hauled. Back her in the slip, straps under her and up she goes. Then the engine on the travel lift quits. So now we are hanging in the slings above the water. Now we left Shellbe and Milo down below and Shellbe is going crazy because she can hear us but can't see us. Two hours later they get the engine running again and we finally get put on land. But they set us down right in front of the haul out slip. Guess the good thing there is that they have to now get us fixed and back in the water before they can haul another boat. After talking with Ben, the manager, and looking at the damage, a plan is put in place. Jackson, a nice young man is put to work on the repair. Now Jackson is learning how to do fiberglass repairs. He has been doing it for awhile but does not have years of experience so he keeps checking with the boss to make sure he is doing it right. Now to me this is a good thing as Jackson seems to really want to do it right and has pride in his work. It is good to see someone like Jackson who has the desire to to it right. Anyway, the repairs are going good. It is not going to be as big of deal as feared. The one down side is, when I removed the MAX prop I found that it was damaged inside with a couple of teeth missing on the gears. Ben is going to take it to a machine shop today to see what they think. We have the old prop that we can put on if needed so will just have to wait and see. Kim is working on painting Cate's head and berth being as she is not here and I am getting some other projects done that were needed like turning our anchor chain around so now we are using the other end all the time. We don't have internet so I will let you know when I can upload some pictures of the work.
Vessel Name: Island Siren
Vessel Make/Model: 1976 Vagabond 47
Hailing Port: Key Largo, Florida
Crew: Ron
About: Ron is a retired Firefighter/Flightmedic with Miami Dade County Fire Rescue.
Extra: more information at: