Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

Still in Mazatlan

20 November 2011 | Mazatlan
Jay/ Hot
11/19
We are getting into life here at El Cid. Mornings we go for bike rides, afternoons is the pool, and evenings a movie or socializing with cruisers. Tonight I am trying to get Anita psyched about going out to hear a band playing near the marina.
The El Cid is as close to cruiser heaven that we can imagine. The wifi is so-so, but all else is first rate.
Contrary to what we have been told, the biking isn’t so bad. I think it all depend on your relative comfort level. Compared to Canada, it isn’t so bad. If you don’t bike in Canada, Mexico is a bad place to start getting road-wise. The grates in the road are not bike friendly and you have to keep an eye on things as often they will be wider than your tires.
We stopped in on the good folks at Total Yacht Works. They bwere very helpful and we got all the stuff we need to service Karina. We also found out all about all the musical happenings going on around here.
This morning, I am doing what is in the picture. Just goofing off and updating the blog. We heard Kasasa made it to town today. They are in the old harbour and are probably going S soon. We see Lynn and Debbie on Dolphin Tales around the pool. We also got to meet August Moon on B dock.
We got a late start on the day (0730) and so decided to put the oil change over till tomorrow morning when it is a little cooler. Today we will spend much more time at the pool and less time doing chores. We are still on track for heading for Isla Isabella on Monday. We will leave in the late morning and it looks like we will have 10-15 from behind all night to push us on our way. We might lay over at Stone Island for a few hours if we get going too early as the surge at the dock makes leaving later in the morning problematic.
11/20
This morning we changed the oil on Karina. We did a positively awful job of it. We made a terrible mess. As with all oil changes, the quality of the job was inversely proportional to the mess (in other words, we did a great job of it). I got oil everywhere. I am cowering here in the lobby while Anita is dealing with the mess. I think I will pay somebody to do it when we come back through Mazatlan.
We then turned Karina around so we are ready to leave. Our neighbour nervously helped as we warped her out of her slip and flipped her and back in. I can now do a first rate service of Wayne and have him ready for tomorrow. The winds are forecast to be in the mid-high teens and we will likely have the genny poled out and sail all the way in that configuration. We will stay at Isla Isabella for a couple of days and then off to San Blas and then maybe one more stop on the way to La Cruz and then Karina becomes a floating condo for a month and a half.
Comments

About & Links