Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

Just a few thougths

03 July 2012 | Nanaimo, B.C.
Jay/ Cold/ Wet
Its wet here too. Juneuary has been terrible. Today, I had the fireplace on for a few minutes just to warm up the place and keep a little heat in the place.
Thought 1
I've been following the Vancouver Island Cruising Experience (VICE) on the HAM radio. It seems to me that many of the boats went out into a gale warning and were happy they survived. I was amazed at how many folks would get into a boat and stick to any kind of schedule knowing the elements can be so different. We are not intrepid sailors by any stretch. True, we have seen a bit of rough water here and there, but we would never go out when the winds were forecast to give us a for sure kick in the rear. As far as I know only one boat made it to the Cobb Seamount (the destination). Most others were kicked around and returned with a good case of mal de mer. Today it is so calm on the west coast, you probably couldn't justify putting a sail up. It would make the trip to Cobb a much more pleasant experience. Remember the sailors motto : When the goin gets tough, smart sailors step out of the way. Which brings me to my next thought.....
Thought 2
Mal de Mer is something Anita struggles with. She is not a wussy girl. She is 115 lbs of the toughest girl you could hope to meet. She struggles desparately with seasickness. She is the kind of girl who loves sailing because of all the nice places we can get to. There are watches she has had to lean over the side and make her offering to the sea as many as 4 times. She doesn't complain. She just rinses out her mouth and gets back on watch. All episodes of seasickness come from inadequate meds. Stugeron is Anita's wonderdrug. It is not available in Canada or the USA. All we can report is that it has not given Anita any unpleasant effects...yet. If you suspect you are going to be seasick (and yes, a gale will likely do it to you), then make sure you have some effective way of dealing with it. Anita is always saying, "oh I'll be fine on this trip. I'm fine......I'm........blleeeaaagh." She is getting better at getting the Stugeron into her before the brown stuff hits the fan. She is slim enough already.
Thought 3
Going out and getting kicked around on the ocean is not what we are out there for. Activities like VICE where folks stick to a schedule and seem obliged to head out into a gale is a sure way to get turned off sailing for good - if you survive! Our plan for our own VICE is to hang out and get a good long range forecast and then head out. At least if we do run into a gale, we will tough it out and recover out there before we get to home port. I don't want my offshore experiences to be coloured with the terror of being kicked around on the ocean. I prefer the lovely sunsets and warm evenings of tropical passages.
Call me a sissy if you will. I'm out there looking forward to the next passage!
Comments

About & Links