Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

On our way!!

29 October 2012 | Arizona City
Jay/ Hot
10-25
We got to the bottom of the long list of decommissioning jobs for the house by 0945 this morning, so we decided to hop the 1030 ferry to Vancouver. It turned out to be fortuitous as we ran into Jean-Guy Bergeron, Bill and Jane. We caught up on all the news. It was so nice to see Bill and Jane again. We may stop in on them when they are in Yuma.
We got off the ferry at 1220 and headed for Sunrise. We mostly pumped the air mattress at Sunrise as the pump makes such a terrible row as we are bombing down the highway.
We also got to the bottom on the secrets of the FM transmitter we bought for the ipod. The volume has to be maxed on the ipod for the FM transmitter to be fully optimized. The signal from the transmitter would be stronger with the volume all the way up. The weather here in Vancouver is nice today. A nice fall day.
10-28
Mom's operation was a smashing success. She was ejected from VGH yesterday at 1000. We took her back to her care place and had showers and lunch. While all this went on Anita and I decided to head for Mexico immediately. We got to the border in good form. Unfortunately, due to the confusing light system at the US border the customs guy decided we needed to be taken apart. So, a half an hour later, they had the truck put back together and confiscated our apple cores. We looked as guilty as can be for trying to smuggle a couple of apple cores across the border.
Things didn't get any better as it started to pelt down rain. It continued all night as we made a overnight stop near Eugene Oregon. We got on our way at 0530 this morning. We have been playing messages and telephone tag with them and now awaiting their arrival soon. The weather cleared up later in the morning and is now 80F, so things are looking up. We will make Bakersfield tonight. This will make San Diego an easy hop tomorrow. We will see.
10-29
We made an executive decision last night. We decided anything we might save in Downwind Marine in San Diego, we would save in gas and spend in Phoenix. We did. We made a L onto I-10 at 2330 last night and spent the night at a rest stop near San Bernadino which put us half way between Phoenix and Tuscon for tonight. We will stay at a nice RV site here and get going at 0700 for the border and make San Carlos before dark tomorrow night.
Flushed with success at navigating to West Marine and Trader Joe's, our cares seemed 1,000,000 miles away as I am getting snapped up at the hot tub here in Arizona City.
Phoenix was wonderful to navigate in. Anita has been great with a map and navigated us flawlessly in LA. Phoenix was a bigger challenge, but she was equal to it and we made course directly to West Marine, Joe's and now off to Arizona City just fine. I am so lucky to have her. I never thought the term "Navigator" would be added to the list of reasons of why I find her so wonderful, but here is another reason.
The RV park (Los Colinas in Casa Grande) we are at is nice and we would like to come back on the way N in the spring. Good wifi, a pool and hot tub make this the ideal spot for us. We will hit the pool when we finish supper and wait a few minutes.
The weather has changed and is now "hot." It is 92 F and we are soooo ready for the pool.
Comments

About & Links