Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

Sailing the Gulf Islands

13 July 2013 | Coastal Renaissance
Jay / warm
Today I am on the ferry to Vancouver to accompany my Mom to an appointment with the GP. Sooooo I thought I would take an hour to catch up on happenings wihile taking the ferry to Vancouver.
Two weeks ago Jim, Anita and I took our Kayak down to Cedar by the Sea and met our daughter (Tina) and her husband (David). The three of them managed to cram themselves onto their little kayak and we paddled over to Pirate's Cove on DeCourcy Island. All went well until the other kayak dicouvered they couldn't steer their boat. eventually, we made it to Round Island where Jim and Anita traded places. With Jim and me paddling, we were able to tow their Kayak over to the N end of DeCourcy Island. There we took a pee break and I managed to figure out the problem with the steering on the other kayak. Jim walked the 45 minute trail down to the campsite. Anita and I paddled our kayak and Tina and David took theirs down to the campsite.
We landed easily and then got a good campsite for the couple of days we were there. There were a lot of walks and good food for us that weekend. On day 2 Anita and I paddled down to Whaleboat Island and came back on the other side of Ruxton Island.
The next morning, we headed home and cleaned up with showers.
Flushed with the success of that trip, Anita and I planned a more adventurous trip to Blackberry Point on Valdes Island. We sailed directly from the beach in front of our home to Pirate's Cove on the first day. We took 4.5 hours to make the 15 miles. In the course of the voyage, we discovered the wisdom of the skirts that kayakers wear. We did bring them with us, but they don't work if they are all packed away;-) We took a couple of wakes of the big passing tugs that frequent the harbour and I soaked my pants and gaunchies.
Once at Pirate's Cove we discovered the bugs were bigger and hungrier than they were two weeks ago. Fortunately, we had some bug repellant that the bugs used as a condiment.
The next morning we made it over to Blackberry Point and there were no bugs and the camping was great. We met a nice couple (Peter and Wendy) and played music that night.
Yesterday we woke to strong winds and we had to wait several hours for the winds to abate so we could make the passage to Ladysmith. We got off the beach (with Peter's help) and made sail for Ladysmith. We made the 2 hour passage easily and arrived just in time for lunch. After lunch, we had a nice visit with Tony McCrory (and old friend from Kitimat days). By 1615 Jim arrived and with all of us huffing away, we managed to get the kayak on the roof of the truck with ease. We got home by 1730 and now we are showered and back into life in Nanaimo.
We are planning a bigger cruise to Victoria in a couple of weeks. It was a great time. Unfortunately, our camera battery charger isn't working, so I have no pictures to offer for this posting
Comments

About & Links