Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

More San Carlos

26 March 2014 | Marina San Carlos
Jay/Warm
03/24
We are slowly decommissioning. Yesterday, we took the entire day off and walked up the Nacapule Canyon. It was a pleasant morning. In the afternoon we goofed off at the pool. They have "senior-proofed" the pool area with a stereo blasting techno that you can hear from 150 metres away. Needless to say, we got the hint and left soon after Anita got cooled off.
This morning we puttered away at a few little projects. We reloaded the truck to get the electric piano in as it won't be making the trip to Hawaii next year. In the afternoon Jesus (pronounced Hey Zeus) came and blessed our starter with some new wiring and reconnected everything for just a little less than CAN $50. Inasmuch as it took him several hours to clean up the starter and reconnect it, I gave him an extra 100 pesos (CAN $8). If you are ever in San Carlos, he is a good guy to get to know as he is reasonable price and shows up when he says he will. He is not afraid to step away from a job he can't do well. These are all attributes of a successful Mexican. Unfortunately, most tradesmen don't share his ethic.
As you may assume from the above comment about Hawaii, we are making tentative plans to bring Karina back to Canada next year on her own keel. I think that decision was always there for us. Its just that we wouldn't admit it to ourselves. To all our family and friends, we will have our blog kept up and you can follow our progress on the PACSEA website: ( http://www.pangolin.co.nz/xtras/pacseanet/pacseanet.php )
Our call sign is VA7 JAB which is my ham call (Jay). We expect to leave Mazatlan in late April. We will anchor for an overnight in Cabo San Lucas and then head off the next morning to Hilo. We don't expect any trouble getting to Hawaii. The trip back to Canada can be the best of times or the worst of times. We hope to be able to make it to the BCA farewell to the fleet on the August long weekend. We will then make a leisurely trip back to Nanaimo and tie to the mooring buoy I'm going to make in front of the house. This will end the southern part of our aquatic adventures in the sunny South. We plan to RV south to S. California or Arizona for a good part of the winter in future years. We will spend summers in Desolation Sound. Probably a lot of time in Roscoe Bay (Black Lake).
We have been spending a lot of time dealing with some of the issues around Mom's care. This has been upsetting for me as her personality is going through a drastic change. Her interest in my daily calls seems to be diminishing. I guess it is just one more part of saying goodbye.
03/25
Jim's birthday. Hope all is going well for him. We drove the crew of Just Dandy into the Tufesa bus this morning. When I got back to the boat, I sold the last bits of the old dodger for 700 pesos (about $55 CDN). I am amazed. That more than paid for the starter repair. In the afternoon, I finished decommissioning the last bits on the mast. I called Mom and we chatted for almost an hour. Anita went for a shower and advised me not to bother as there is no hot water.
Comments

About & Links