Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

Tod Inlet

07 May 2021 | Tod Inlet
Anita Bigland | Sunny (mostly)
Karina at anchor in Tod Inlet

May 6 We had planned to go to Sidney Spit, but with rain headed our way and some windy conditions predicted, we decided to stay put. It's pretty exposed out there but well protected here. I don't fancy walking the lovely trails over there in the rain. Jay has a hard time trying to convince me to move at all from any place that is warm and comfortable. The heater is going right now and things seem fine just as they are.The dinghy and it's motor are already stowed, so I think we'll just stay aboard today. Food is plentiful right now, as we still have half of the massive amount of steak Jay BBQed up yesterday. The salad is begging to be used up, as the broccoli and cucumber are looking pretty pathetic. We can phase into the can can soon, though tomorrow we'll be near fresh food at the back of Todd Inlet. We need to eat up the pepperoni and Chorizo sausage, so chili will be tomorrow's menu. Jay could make short work of these meats if I let him at them, so I'm sure I don't need to worry about spoilage. A little music today sounds like fun. David starts his holidays tomorrow and has off till 17th. I'm looking forward to seeing them and actually being able to give them a hug, rather than the virtual hug across Skype. We played a little music after lunch and then went for a walk around the park. Met Alf and Sue on Maria, who own a Benteau. They are from Victoria. Nice couple. After a nice visit on shore we hurried back to the boat as the rain started up. We finished our music, and now back to playing Sudoku.
May 7 Off to Tod Inlet. Tina (daughter) and David came out to the boat and it was great to give them both a hug rather than the virtual hugs across Skype. It rained most of the time, but with some soap on my navigation/ kissing stool, the rain was able to clean up most of the spilled diesel on it. Just before they left they ran us up in the car in a search for methyl hydrate. Interestingly the gas station in Brentwood Bay had never heard of this gas line additive which we use to light the heater. The local hardware store, which was way more than a walk away was closed, and they needed to drive us all the way out to Sannich Peninsula, near Port of Sidney marina. So much for us thinking we left home all self contained, but between that and eye drops, I guess we weren't as forward thinking as we thought. We discovered that our rebuilding of the heater was actually leaking a little diesel onto the cushion, so another diesel wash load awaits me when I get home. Oh what fun!
Comments

About & Links