Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

To Port Browning and back

18 July 2021
Jay Bigland
Anita in the pool at Poets Cove

July 5 A heat wave, and we fell about 25-30 trees, limbed them and got the trunks into 6 ft. lengths for Jack. 8 more stumps to pull out using saws all and come-a-long winch.
July 9 All trees and stumps are now gone so we are out on the boat again for a short time before we have to be home for doctor and dentist. At our age we have to schedule our diminishing times for holidays between doctors. I wonder if the urologist is going to talk me through the digital exam over the phone. Really looking forward to that one! We went to Princess Cove on Wallace Island. I had to drag Jay away from his favorite show in the anchorage, watching rookie boaters attempt to anchor. It’s first hand seeing of “"Bone headed boater”,(live and in person).Thank heavens I got him to walk, and not stay around for the 3 hour fiasco. Husband ran over the stern line, but the wife was the one in the water cutting the wound up rope off the prop.
July 10 After a last walk on Wallace we travelled to Montague, where we had lunch and laid down for a 2 minute nap that turned into 2 hours. Eventually Jay dragged me out of bed and we had a nice walk by the marina, and bought more outboard gas. Second night of chicken Caesar salad and the rest of the yogurt, berries and almonds. Lots of salad to use up as I had bought more than I should have, plus our neighbor brought us 3 days worth from her garden. Tomorrow is spaghetti, but it is going to have to be with lots of salad.
July 11 Walked in the morning at the park. Met Douglas on a laser 26 who was from Salt Spring and who knows Heinz and Lisa. He was looking after someone else's big dog as well as his own on that tiny boat. My pet is Jay and I’m his. We stink enough, let alone having some dog on board. We took care of that with a boat shower. Also met Jaye and Tom on a Pearson 42, who were members of Blue Water, and have done off shore. Tom mentioned they had passed by Sidney Spit on the weekend, yesterday and counted at least 35 boats. What a crowd, and it will only get worse once the boarder reopens. We thought of going there but it sounds a little verboten, or is that “"ver- boat- en”! Hopefully there will be less on a week day. Enjoyed a walk again today up from the marina. We took our masks this time so that we could look around the store. Mixed messages with the masking and the stores wanting it to be mandatory. Though the mandatory sign is up, I noticed some patrons still entering without. I guess they wanted their money and didn't shoe them away. It makes it difficult when the business wants to protect their workers. Looks like my ice has all melted, and though the mobicool sucks back 5 amps continuously, I ran it briefly. Trying to protect my lettuce, but hardly feel it worth $5 to buy a brick of ice which will melt in 2 days, in order to save $5 worth of lettuce. We will run the fridge tomorrow on route to Bedwell Harbour. Osten, from Harbour Chandlery still is unable to get a fridge conversion kit for us from Novacool. I wish I had have planned this trip as more of the can-can type.
July 12 Enjoyed the “"refreshing “ pool at Bedwell. The good part of that temperature was that the kids didn't stay in too long. It felt good to me, but Jay took much longer to “"warm up” the idea of getting in. I chopped up the roast into steak, and Jay BBQed all of the 3 lb roast for a 3 day supply. We are turning green here since we are eating so much salad. 12 romaine hearts with no ice left is really a lot to chew through. Heinz and Lisa came over for sundowners.
July 13 Heinz and Lisa dinged in tandem with us to Poets Cove. I thought they were going to swim with us, but I guess they only wanted to have a look and see, since Lisa needed to return soon to meet up with their friends Ruth and Don. The girls were wanting to look over the clothing stores. The lower pool was to be opening this afternoon, but since it was still morning, we enjoyed the upper pool and hot tub. It looked a little green, but it was warm and the hot tub was toasty hot. We made good use of the free showers, and feel nice and clean now. After lunch we visited with Bob. Deedee didn’t come down. We missed seeing her as we had such great times together in Mexico. Seems she doesn’t like getting out of the house lately, and just enjoys her crocheting. Jay did some Internet, and then we came back for supper. I overheard that the Bedwell pool was closed today in order to shock it. It looks like my timing for swimming there yesterday and Poets pool today was good timing. After supper we enjoyed sun downers on Heinz’s boat. Another very peaceful night. Both nights here were so calm, we thought we were still in the house.
July 14 We spent today at Sidney Spit. The tide was going out when we came, so we had a very fast trip. I saw over 9 knots as we rounded the entrance. We just got back from a long walk on the low tide beach, and then did the trails. Lots of mooring cans to choose from here since it's mid week. Peaceful water, nice and calm.
July15 Up at 5:45 and on our way @6AM. We wanted the tide to work for us. We motored about 2.5 hours up to Montague, and the portable fridge got nice and cold. The lettuce thanked us. We probably can chew through the last of it tonight. Jay has been eating so much lettuce, that his nose is starting to twitch. He used to say he would eat a bail of hay if I put ketchup on it so I tell him to use more ketchup on his salad and pretend it's green steak. He’s offering to trade lettuce for pepperoni, but can't find any takers. We talked to the people on Meridian Passage II, while dinging ashore. Malcolm and Darcy now have Meridian Passage III. We walked the park, and just finished lunch. Jay is asleep, and his wind burn on his face makes him a contender for replacing Rudolph. Well, it's better than Randolph the brown nose reindeer. He was just behind Rudolph. He was as fast as Rudolph but didn't have as good of breaks.
July 16 Left at 7:45 for Clam Bay. Dinged through the cut at high tide for a walk out to the beach on the other side of Thetis. Choppy on this side of the cut when we returned. Winds in high teens. Had lunch and a shower for Jay. All the lettuce is finally gone and we will have clam alfredo in honor of being in Clam Bay. Jay is already upset that there will be no side salad, (ha ha.)
July 17 Home port again.
Comments

About & Links