Jacana's yarns

Sailing west about from Melbourne, Australia.

26 October 2011 | Bundaberg, QLD
04 October 2011 | On passage to Bundaberg, Australia
01 October 2011 | On passage to Bundaberg, Australia
26 September 2011 | On passage to Bundaberg, Australia
20 September 2011 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
10 September 2011 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
09 September 2011 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
08 September 2011 | On Passage to Port Vila
05 September 2011 | On Passage to Port Vila
02 September 2011 | Fiji
01 September 2011 | Lautoka, Fiji
18 August 2011 | Suva, Fiji
02 August 2011 | Suva, Fiji
24 July 2011 | On Passage to Suva, Fiji
21 July 2011 | On Passage to Suva, Fiji
17 July 2011 | Neiafu, Tonga
28 June 2011 | On Passage to Tonga
27 June 2011 | On Passage to Tonga

Returning to Port Vila - 8 years on

20 September 2011 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
Dan and Yo Hellier
We spent a quiet night at anchor in the quarantine area, where you are never quite sure of your holding, and the grinding of coral can be heard. Quarantine was quick and friendly.
Later you are required to visit customs and immigration ashore.



It was pleasant to return to familiar Port Vila. In the morning we called up Lemara at Yachting World and were led in by the work boat to our mooring buoy behind Iririki Island.



Lemara remembered us from 8 years earlier.



We renewed our acquaintance with Tusker, the bia blong Vanuatu.



The local market was still vibrant with good produce.



The live produce, certainly fresh.



Friends to celebrate with
Our mates from Melbourne, Liz and John made a flying visit. They stayed at Iririki Island, a couple of hundred metres away from our mooring.



While the youngsters favour board shorts these days, John opts for the traditional budgie smugglers at pleasant Hideaway Island.



We all hired a car for the mandatory circumnav of Efate on the new bitumen road.
We lunched on the north east corner at the Beachcomber to the wonderful harmonies of a local band.



Nurcan, a friend of our lads, was working in Vanuatu for a couple of weeks for Origin Energy and we shared a top night on Jacana.

Info for yachties.

The best supermarket is Au Bon Marche. As you leave the Waterfront Bar and Grill (the location of the dinghy dock), turn right, away from town, and You'll find the new supermarket a short 10 minute walk away on the west side of the road. This supermarket has a much wider range than the other branches in Pt Vila itself. Wi fi on board is good from the anchorage and we paid for it online. We do use a boosted wireless antenna extension so we can get the antenna up high. If you haven't got one it will serve you well through the pacific. We coupled ours with an alpha antenna and had few complaints. Several of the pubs offer free internet to customers.

A decent pho can be consumed at the Vietnamese restaurant in town.

It is easier to dinghy over to clear customs at the commercial dock. You are not allowed to tie up to the dock, but it is simple to tie to a pandanus tree 20 metres to the east and walk into the port to customs. The forms are long winded, but painless.
It is smart to ask for a set of forms for clearing out. This way you can have all the paperwork done in advance.
Surprise, surprise, but you fill out the same long winded form to depart.


Comments
Vessel Name: Jacana Of Melbourne
Vessel Make/Model: Northshore 46
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Dan & Yolanda Hellier
About: Departed Melbourne April 2003. We have now finished our circumnavigation. Thought we might cruise down the east coast of Oz for a while
Jacana Of Melbourne's Photos - Main
21 Photos
Created 28 October 2011
14 Photos
Created 27 August 2011
6 Photos
Created 17 July 2011
6 Photos
Created 28 April 2011
32 Photos
Created 17 March 2011
There are over 900 species of birds in Panama and 400 of them are in our jungle backyard at ShelterBay marina
21 Photos
Created 20 December 2010
Regular visits to Oz allow us to travel via new countries and catch up with mates and family
1 Photo | 1 Sub-Album
Created 13 November 2010
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
18% of all species of birds in the world occur in Colombia
5 Photos
Created 20 June 2010
14 Photos
Created 7 April 2010
We joined the people on the street for Emancipation Day, and the festivities of Carnival. With other yachties we took Jessie James' tours to Asa Wright Bird Reserve, the Caroni Swamp, Nariva and the pitch lake.
17 Photos
Created 30 March 2010
Trinidad & Tobago have the greatest number of species of birds per sq kilometer than any other country in the world...about 460 odd species.
22 Photos
Created 9 March 2010