The Jackson Four on Tour

Operation 'sell Pegasus of Jersey' begins""

22 July 2013 | Moffat, Scotland
29 March 2013 | Penang
27 March 2013 | Mooloolaba and Penang
22 February 2013 | Mooloolaba
05 February 2013 | Mooloolaba
30 January 2013 | Mooloolaba
11 January 2013 | Brisbane River
27 December 2012
26 December 2012 | Brisbane/Godl Coast
16 December 2012 | Brisbane, Australia
06 December 2012
04 December 2012
01 December 2012
01 December 2012 | Townsville
27 November 2012
26 November 2012
23 November 2012 | Cairns, Australia
15 November 2012 | Vlasoff Reef

The ones who got away

22 February 2013 | Mooloolaba
Dufour Nautitech 395 for sale
We had a potential buyer last week. Not just a step on the boat for five minutes making you wonder why you just spent the past two hours scrubbing and cleaning kind of fender kicker, but someone who had specifically flown up from Melbourne to look specifically at Pegasus amongst other boats.
I was excited. We went the whole hog in getting her look to lovely which was probably lost on PB (potential buyer) due to the fact that there had been torrential rain for the past three days. So there was no gleaming metal work, but at least PB got to see which of our hatches had a slight drip!
Even though we were the last boat to be seen on their exceptionally long day, PB checked our engines, chatted to Mark and saw through the rain and liked our boat.
But I was forgetting. PB comes with a PBW. And I think at 4.30 pm in the pouring rain after a very long day looking at other boats, PBW didn't share the same enthusiasm as her husband. I'm not sure I'd be that enthusiastic either. And let's face it, you can't picture yourself relaxing on the trampoline, sharing a drink with friends in the cockpit or preparing food in the light, airy saloon when it's peeing down with rain. So no offer was forthcoming.
Interestingly, the feedback we got from the broker was that in PBs opinion, Pegasus was the best boat on the market for the price, but that PBW was put off by the helm position. I know that what I am going to write probably won't change this buyer's mind, but I would like to say something about this because when you google Dufour Nautitech 395 pretty much the only thing you get is forums discussing the helm position. Firstly, yes the seats are small. In fact, when we arrived in Gibraltar we adjusted the seat firstly to give Mark more leg room and secondly to make it detachable so it didn't get in the way when we were at anchor. Secondly, once we actually became round the world sailors, we realised how little we actually sat at the helm. Uncle autopilot helmed us round the world whilst we relaxed on the trampoline or sat in the cockpit with a cup of tea. With our wind instruments, AIS etc in the cockpit or inside, we didn't need to be up at the helm unless we wanted to......it was a lovely place to sit and contemplate life from time to time!
I do actually recall having to helm for two hours whilst in the Pacific....the time it took for Mark to fix the autopilot!!
When we're coming alongside in a pontoon or marina, it's great being able to see along the side of the whole boat to park up, which might be more of an issue marina hopping in Australia than puddle hopping in the Pacific.
And if it's really rough and you really need to be up there? Well you clip on with a lifejacket just as you would in any other boat if you are a good sailor. We actually had a rule that if you were on night watch alone, then you wore a lifejacket and clipped on at the helm whatever the weather. We applied that to going up to the mast too. It's just common sense.
Personlly? My favourite place to keep watch is standing at the back of the cockpit resting my cup of tea against the top of the bimini with the wind in my hair and contemplating life. Ahhhhhh, sailing is good for the soul :-)
So, for what it's worth, it possibly won't sway this particular PBW. I just wish that she had seen Pegasus how I had on my first ( and only!) boat viewing. A light airy boat on a sunny day. But I feel like I've got the 'helm' issue off my chest. Thank you for listening :-D
Comments
Vessel Name: Pegasus of Jersey
Vessel Make/Model: Nautitech 395 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Lefkas, Greece
Crew: Mark, Catherine, Mia and Lachlan
About:
Having met whilst sailing on Bob's boat, there always was a vague plan that we would at some stage sell the house, buy a boat and sail round the world. Unfortunately, we didn't have a house. That was 9 years ago. [...]

Jackson Four on Tour

Who: Mark, Catherine, Mia and Lachlan
Port: Lefkas, Greece