Believe's Adventures

Vessel Name: BELIEVE
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 321
Hailing Port: Salem, KY
18 October 2013 | Cuba Landing
16 October 2013
25 September 2013 | KDM
16 September 2013
11 August 2013 | KDM
05 May 2013 | KY Dam MArina
Recent Blog Posts
18 October 2013 | Cuba Landing

Day 4

Day 4

16 October 2013

Finally Underway

8 Oct. 22013

25 September 2013 | KDM

Still Counting Down

T Minus One Week and Counting:

16 September 2013

Countdown Continues

T minus 4 weeks and counting:

11 August 2013 | KDM

Countdown

Counting Down

05 May 2013 | KY Dam MArina

Getting the Act Together

It is another gloomy day in the neighborhood. I am so ready for some sunshine. At least during the last couple of weeks we had a few days that were descent. The Admiral and I started our spring cleaning – summerizing - aboard Believe. So far, we have oiled the interior wood, pressure washed the deck, [...]

Finally Underway

16 October 2013
Duke
8 Oct. 22013
Yesterday we were a lot later than we wanted to be getting away from the marina. After taking our vehicle home, and finishing up what was needed to leave the house empty for an extended time, it was 1330 before I back to the marina. There were still goodbyes we wanted to say to our boat neighbors and we needed to top off the fuel tank before we could clear the marina’s jetties and turn south.
Having been in a state of rush most of the day, I was tired and was ready to pull into the first available bay; but, the admiral indicated she didn’t like that bay and was persistent about continuing. So we continued on south for another hour.
By the time we anchored it was too late for me to take the admiral a ride in the dinghy. And, this really didn’t bother me. I was too tired to deal with it. The first day ended somewhat short of our expectations for the start of our great adventure.
10 Oct. 2013
Tuesday, we motored, sailed, motor-sailed, and then motored again. The sailing was great, occasionally hitting hull speed, about 6.5 knots. As the wind became less consistent we turned the engine back on to maintain our travel speed. Finally, as the channel narrowed and started zigzagging from shore to shore, I took down the sail and became a motorboat. Eight hours and 30+ miles upriver, we anchored our second night in a section of Panther Bay called Dry Fork.
Again we arrive too late to take the dinghy to shore. Needing to stretch our legs, we planned to go ashore for a short hike before we got underway Wednesday morning.
Wednesday we woke to a beautiful fall day. We were finally able take our dinghy ride to shore. Once ashore we were reminded we were in a river valley; the start of our hike required we go up a 20ᵒ incline changing our elevation about 70 feet. We had to stop for a short rest when we reached the top. We continued our hike looking for an old cemetery that is supposed to be near where we were. We never found any signs of the cemetery.
We motored another 30 miles and dropped the hook in Richland Creek.
This morning we woke to a heavy fog over the river. Though we had everything ready to get underway by 08:00, it was 10:00 before the fog lifted enough for me to feel safe in traveling the channel.

About & Links