Believe's Adventures

Vessel Name: BELIEVE
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 321
Hailing Port: Salem, KY
18 October 2013 | Cuba Landing
16 October 2013
25 September 2013 | KDM
16 September 2013
11 August 2013 | KDM
05 May 2013 | KY Dam MArina
Recent Blog Posts
18 October 2013 | Cuba Landing

Day 4

Day 4

16 October 2013

Finally Underway

8 Oct. 22013

25 September 2013 | KDM

Still Counting Down

T Minus One Week and Counting:

16 September 2013

Countdown Continues

T minus 4 weeks and counting:

11 August 2013 | KDM

Countdown

Counting Down

05 May 2013 | KY Dam MArina

Getting the Act Together

It is another gloomy day in the neighborhood. I am so ready for some sunshine. At least during the last couple of weeks we had a few days that were descent. The Admiral and I started our spring cleaning – summerizing - aboard Believe. So far, we have oiled the interior wood, pressure washed the deck, [...]

Day 4

18 October 2013 | Cuba Landing
Princess Di
Day 4
Once we passed the iterance to Pebble Isle Marina we were in 100% new territory; that is what I was looking forward to. I love going places we have never been before, but for John I think that is where he started becoming more stressed, because he was navigating in unfamiliar waters.
One of our sources for marinas and anchorages is Active Captain, so according to Active Captain, we should have been able to anchor behind the last of the “paid slips” at Cuba Landing, in Waverly, TN, but as we were proceeding back to the anchorage area the depth became more and more shallow, showing less than 3 feet below the keel. BELIEVE needs 4’ of water to float and we prefer at least 9 to 10 feet to anchor. Cautiously, we returned to the fuel dock at the front of the marina. A marina employee, Tony, informed us that the marina property is located on a federal refuge and is leased from the government. There were no government employees working there, but because of the government shutdown, he was not supposed to be open – the “OPEN” sign was turned off. Fortunately, he is a very nice person and is willing to sell us some fuel and lease us a slip for the night. Our budget plan didn’t have us staying in a marina for a couple more nights, but the sun was going down and John was not about to try and navigate unfamiliar waters after dark. I probably would not have mind so much, but this particular marina does not have a courtesy car, and I was hoping when we paid for a slip we could get a car and go to a restraint and get some bread and fresh vegetables from a store.
Since we were paying to be at a marina we decided to take full advantage of it and get rid of trash, buy ice and do a couple loads of laundry. (I do not know how we had that much laundry, but we did.) Well, the washer was $1.25 and worked great. The dryer was free, but only dried on low, so needless to say, my clothes did not get done until noon. While I was doing laundry, John was checking the charts to see where we could anchor that night. Come to find out, there were no safe anchorages that we could make it to before dark. To say I was unhappy is an understatement. John, being the great guy that he is, did his best to make me happy. This included walking all over the refuge.
This marina has a few groceries and a deli, but since they were supposed to be closed, they were not restocking. I asked Tony if he had any bread; he checked to see if there was any left in the deli. He found me a loaf – not fresh, but better than nothing!
The marina had a nice place to sit outside, in front of the office. We sat for a while talking to Tony and Uncle Phil, a local pier 5 live aboard. After we talked for a while I said I would love a cheeseburger, and asked Tony if he had the stuff to make one. He had buns and cheese, but no hamburger. We continued to talk when Uncle Phil said, “do you really want a cheese burger?” I said, “Yes.” Then he offered to go to the store, 20 minutes away, to buy some hamburger for me. WOW! John quickly have him some money, Then Phil asked, “Don’t you need some lettuce, cheese and tomatoes to go with that?” I told him we have cheese, but the lettuce and tomatoes would be great. So, when he was ready to go he said, “Anything else?” and I said maybe some fresh fruit.
About an hour later, John and I were walking and Phil pulled beside us as we were taking pictures and had our requested items, plus offered to take a picture of John and me together. How nice was that?
Cheese burgers for supper, YUM! I still was not excited about being there for another day, but certainly not because of the people we met.

About & Links