Journeys on Jacob's Ladder

10 December 2018 | Halifax
10 December 2018 | Norfolk, VA
20 July 2018 | 32 46.350”N:080 03.797”W
16 May 2018 | 24 33.725'N081 48.138W United States
01 May 2018 | Isla Mujeres
01 May 2018 | Guatemala
29 September 2017 | Rio Dulce
29 September 2017 | Placencia Belize
29 September 2017 | Cayos Cachinos Honduras
29 September 2017 | Belize
29 September 2017 | Merida Mexico
29 September 2017 | Isla Mujeres Mexico
29 September 2017 | Trinidad Cuba
28 October 2016 | Santiago De Cuba
20 May 2016
20 May 2016
20 May 2016
20 May 2016
02 March 2016 | Rodney Bay

This is the Year!

01 January 2014 | Halifax, Nova Scotia
Welcome to our blog as we begin our "Journeys on Jacob's Ladder". Our vessel is a Beneteau Oceanis 381 named after our beloved smooth collie Cardross Jacob's Ladder who we lost 3 years ago to old age, but who will travel with us in memories and name.
We have waited until today to write our first entry, as this is the year we have decided to toss the lines ashore and set our sights on destinations of a more tropical nature. This is the year that we have decided to live life on our own timetable. This is the year we have decided to truly embrace our own humanity and take some time to smell the roses (so to speak). Of course, we will have to make some sacrifices to accomplish this. In short, if it cannot fit in the boat, it must go! That means everything, save a few items that hold a special place in our hearts that we wish to keep until such time as we have to plant ourselves ashore once again. We will continue our journey for as long as we are able to.
So why do we choose this lifestyle? Only those who have gone before us or are planning on following us really know. The excitement, the adventure, the cultural differences and a simpler way of life are but a few. But, being from Canada, it is also the desire to escape the winters!
Today we were to go sailing on the Canadian Navy's sail training vessel STV Tuna which is berthed at our club. Unfortunately, with a temperature of -17 Deg C and a wind-chill of -22 with 22 Knot winds out of the NW, we could not get the engine started. Better luck next time.

So we bypassed sailing for the day and joined in at our club New Year's levy for moose milk, warm food, and beer bottle racing.

For now, Jacob's Ladder sits on the hard waiting for warmer weather.

Launch date will be early May and we are hoping for a departure of August 1 2014. It will be a leisurely trip, we hope, with some friends joining us for various stages of our journey south. In the meantime, there is so much to be done it sometimes feels daunting. We are working on 4 lists: work to be done to the boat before departure, provisions and equipment needed to make our new lifestyle work, preparations for selling our home, and preparations for selling most of our belongings. It will be a busy winter and spring which will make the time go even faster.


We want our friends to know that we appreciate all the support they have offered. We think the hardest part about this change will be missing those close to us. Plans are already underway for a few visits though, so that is something else to look forward to.
In the coming months, we will update you on the progress we are making, the challenges that we are presented with, and obstacles that have to be overcome. If through this blog we can make it easier for some to follow, then we will take great satisfaction that we were able to help.
Comments
Vessel Name: Jacob's Ladder
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 381
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS
Crew: Andy and Judy
Social:

Who: Andy and Judy
Port: Halifax, NS