Journeys on Jacob's Ladder

10 December 2018 | Halifax
10 December 2018 | Norfolk, VA
20 July 2018 | 32 46.350”N:080 03.797”W
16 May 2018 | 24 33.725'N081 48.138W United States
01 May 2018 | Isla Mujeres
01 May 2018 | Guatemala
29 September 2017 | Rio Dulce
29 September 2017 | Placencia Belize
29 September 2017 | Cayos Cachinos Honduras
29 September 2017 | Belize
29 September 2017 | Merida Mexico
29 September 2017 | Isla Mujeres Mexico
29 September 2017 | Trinidad Cuba
28 October 2016 | Santiago De Cuba
20 May 2016
20 May 2016
20 May 2016
20 May 2016
02 March 2016 | Rodney Bay

Check Lists

29 April 2014 | Halifax
Still too Cold!
It has been a while since we last updated our blog. For this let me apologize. For those of you reading this to follow in our footsteps, let this be a lesson to you. There is SOOOOOO much to do that it feels like you do not have time for it all.
The last time we updated you we had 6 months left. Well we have gone through half of those and now only have 3 months left. So much has happened in those 3 months that it really feels like it has just been a blur.
We decided to contact our real estate agent the end of February to ask his opinion of the best time to list. John is a friend and neighbor and we trusted his opinion explicably. We had a trip planned to visit relatives in Newfoundland for the first week of March and John suggested this would be a good time to start showings. Although we thought this was early, we went with our agents recommendation and long story short, the house sold in 5 weeks. It actually sold twice in 5 weeks as we had accepted a conditional offer when we got a second acceptable offer with no conditions. So big task one, sell house…check!
Our trip to Newfoundland also saw as bring some winter clothes to be left with family. We won’t need them were we are going and we will definitely need them should an emergency call us back from the Caribbean. We are also leaving winter clothes with friends here in Halifax in case we have to come back. So, winter clothes gone…check!
Now, what to do about all that furniture. Well, when our friends (and we are truly blessed with great friends) found out our plans, they quickly offered to purchase almost every item of furniture we have. At this point I believe we have a desk and a 27” tv to get rid of. Those will go in the yard sale next month we hope. Our friends even let us hold onto everything until we were ready to leave. So, household items sold…check!
Next was the hard part. We both had to go into work and tell them that we were leaving. Judy had it done for her when the HR department cc’d her manager on a confidential email. Oh well, had to be done anyway and we don’t think they were shocked. Andy told his team at work first and then slowly everyone else in the office. People at first were shocked but when told of our plans, they quickly congratulated us. Only 6 weeks of work left, which will be the week before closing of the house. So, put in notices at work…check!
Work on the boat has been slow this year. Spring is about a month behind schedule. The transmission has been sent for a rebuild and we also purchased a spare found on-line. That still has to be re-installed. Port side of the boat has been buffed up but still have to do the starboard side and do our bottom paint. We have everything, we just need some good weather to get it done. Boat launch is scheduled for May 15th. New sails have arrived and we need to pick them up soon. We also picked up our new outboard for the RIB and have been for a couple of test drives. Judy struggled with her first attempt and ran over a mooring ball. Once out of the mooring field she did much better. We will continue to work on those skills over the summer before we depart.
We have begun changing our address with various institutions and forwarded to friends. Our plan is to get them to scan and email anything they feel is important (we will provide the scanner) and then they can bring originals with them when they come to visit us. The only big things will be income tax documents, insurance, investments and banking. We have been to the bank and will be cancelling our points cards as annual fees are not being budgeted for. We do want a credit card for emergencies but will switch to a no cost dividend paying card. Most transactions in the Caribbean are cash, so this will only be applicable should we need major repairs.
There is still so much to do and sometimes I cannot imagine how we will get it all done. After work is finished though, there will be much more time dedicated to preparations. The big stuff is all done though and that is a hugh relief.

We have also managed to talk to a few other people, one from our club and two from a Face Book group, that are going south around the same time. We think we will be meeting a couple of boats in Annapolis MD at the boat show, and another boat will be passing through Halifax before we leave and hope to meet them here and then who know, perhaps somewhere south of here as well.
There is a definite air of nervous anticipation as we count down to our new adventure and the new life we have chosen, or that has chosen us. I’m not sure which. Don’t misunderstand. There is no reluctance or second guessing, but there have been so moments where reality has set in. So far, we have enjoyed every step of the process towards the journey.
Comments
Vessel Name: Jacob's Ladder
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 381
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS
Crew: Andy and Judy
Social:

Who: Andy and Judy
Port: Halifax, NS