Journeys on Jacob's Ladder

10 December 2018 | Halifax
10 December 2018 | Norfolk, VA
20 July 2018 | 32 46.350”N:080 03.797”W
16 May 2018 | 24 33.725'N081 48.138W United States
01 May 2018 | Isla Mujeres
01 May 2018 | Guatemala
29 September 2017 | Rio Dulce
29 September 2017 | Placencia Belize
29 September 2017 | Cayos Cachinos Honduras
29 September 2017 | Belize
29 September 2017 | Merida Mexico
29 September 2017 | Isla Mujeres Mexico
29 September 2017 | Trinidad Cuba
28 October 2016 | Santiago De Cuba
20 May 2016
20 May 2016
20 May 2016
20 May 2016
02 March 2016 | Rodney Bay

Honduras - The Bay Islands

29 September 2017 | Cayos Cachinos Honduras
Judy
We left Belize early morning, and on the advise of a local diver we took a shortcut that would save us about an hour, but as we were sailing along we brought up solid thinking we hit a reef, we yelled back to Molly J to turn around but too late they also went up on the reef. Both boats were able to back off and carry on, moral of the story never listen to a local do your own research.

We were able to sail or motor sail most of the day, we did encounter many squalls, Molly J is a much heaver and slower boat then us, so they started to lag behind, we couldn't get them on the radio so we reefed to slow our boat down, we were worried they were having engine problems again. We managed to make it to Utilia around 9:30 which was about 14 hours for us, Molly J showed up around midnight. It was a clear beautiful night and we were able to see bottom and anchor, lots of loud music so it seems this little island was hopping.

After a much needed rest we hauled achourand headed on to Roatan, we did see some friends anchored here as we were leaving. We had a beautiful lovely day of motor sailing along this amazing island, we contacted Debbie n Steve at Fantany isaland and they were able to guide us in through the reef successfully and got us tied up alongside. However not so for Molly J, they ran aground, but were able to free themselves and join us. We were all relieved to be here as this is where we would spend Christmas and New Years, Glynn and Kat were headed back to england for 3 weeks.

As soon as we got off the boat we were greeted by the 3 resident Capuchin monkeys Cheeky, Ethel and Lucy. This marina is part of a diving resort, as Roatan being the mecca diving spot in the Caribbean. A huge reef surrounded the whole place, so we would be taking advantage here. We took a tour of the resort, they had a lovely beach and grounds, which we were allowed to use.
The marina had a lovely little Tihihut where you could hang out, watch TV, buy a beer or a glass of wine, spent many an hour here chatting with Debbie and Steve and watching Libby chase the Agouti's, they look like a groundhog, without the tail, unite to Roatan.

Debbie and Steve were great host, they helped us find everything that we needed, planned gatherings on a weekly basis, arranged shopping buses for us and even loaned us there scooter whenever we needed to go into town. Andy returned the favor by helping Steve tie up/move or rescue boats that got stuck on the reef.

We did a lot of diving here, we meet the managers that were running the dive shop, both from Canada. We did several dives along the wall which was just magical, and I did my first ever wreck dive. I wanted to do the shark dive but in order to do that I had to take some advanced diving courses and that was just not in my budget.

We celebrated Christmas with a potluck dinner, we had about 40 cruisers and everyone had a wonderful day, we did a dinghy raft-up for New Years and brought it in with fireworks off the beach. We spent a full month on the dock and I was getting restless, so when Molly J returned from there visit home we moved to the anchorage in front of Little French Harbor Cay.

We did a visit on French Cay one day this is really for tourists from the cruise ships, but they did have a little zoo here which was very interesting.

After a week or two in the anchorage we decided to sail down to the west end of the island, I actually really liked it here, they have beautiful beach which was a few miles long and a reef that surrounds the whole thing. Theres lots of shops restaurants and bars here, good snorkeling and a great place to hang out, however if the wind from the north comes you have to get out of town.

So the next thing to do was to sail to Utilia, this is a lovely little island, much like Cay Caulker in Belize but with paved streets. Lots of dives shops here, along with a young crowd all doing there courses. It is a very busy little island with a great vibe, you can walk the whole thing or you can get a tuk tuk. Kat and I went to the laundry here one day, and as we were chatting to the owner about our travels we both noticed a coffin, we both looked at each other and mouthed wtf, so the curiosity got the better of me and I had to ask. It turns out to make ends meet they run the laundry, rent bicycles and sell caskets, only in the islands I might say, lol.

We stayed here a week waiting on our friends to show up Blessed and Ananda that had been in Guatemala getting boat work done. They showed up early in the morning along with a new boat, a lovely young couple on a little cat, Rufio. After a few days we all headed back to Fantasy Island as Maggie and Steve on Blessed had wedding plans. The wedding went off without a hitch, Kat, Pam and I were the bridemaids, and the Maggie was given away by Andy. It was a lovely little beach side ceremony where both the bride and groom got baptized in the ocean.

The next day the newlyweds headed back to the states for a month and the rest of the group decided we must go exploring so we once again headed out to JonevilleBight. We stayed here a few days doing dinghy safaris which was a lot of fun, its a great way to see how the locals live.

We then headed Cayos Cochinos, these are a bunch of little islands that are grouped together, what an amazing place, we were able to dive the gardens here, it was a water wonderland. Got some hiking in here as well. We did a dinghy safari to the islands surrounding the island that Suvivor was being filmed on. We stayed for four days then we all headed out to Utilia where most of us would part ways.

But before parting ways I had a birthday to celebrate, we all ended up going out to a lovely Italian restaurant, 10 of us in all, it was a lovely dinner followed up by cocktails and special brownies on JL. The following day we said goodbye to Ananada and Rufio, they were headed to Mexico and on to Florida. Blessed flew back from there vacation and meet us in Utilia to pick up Joey the cat that had been staying on Molly J. After a few days we said goodbye to them also as they were headed out to Guanaja to meet up with some old friends. Down to two boats, us and Blessed our time in Honduras was coming to an end, our visas were expiring and we had enjoyed 4 months here but it was time to move on.
Comments
Vessel Name: Jacob's Ladder
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 381
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS
Crew: Andy and Judy
Social:

Who: Andy and Judy
Port: Halifax, NS