S/V Banjo - Waltzing Round the Med

14 May 2015
27 March 2015 | Gosport
15 March 2015 | Gosport
18 February 2015
20 January 2015 | Gosport
23 December 2014 | Gosport
05 December 2014 | Cartagena
26 November 2014 | Gosport, HANTS
21 November 2014 | Gosport, Hants
09 November 2014 | Gosport, Hants
19 October 2014 | Fareham, Hants
29 September 2014 | Santa Ponsa
10 September 2014 | Palma
01 September 2014 | Santa Ponsa
29 August 2014 | Las Illetas
16 August 2014 | Palma
14 August 2014 | Mahon
11 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Salerno
06 August 2014

Our Very Own Lava Lamp

14 July 2014 | Taormina
Jane
We left Crotone at 5 am and did an overnight passage to Taormina in Sicily arriving at 6 am the next morning. It was pretty busy during the night and the lights of Sicily were visible the whole way. We had our AIS on which shows most of the bigger boats but we could swear we could see a huge liner all lit up. We kept checking the AIS but no liners were coming up. Eventually we realised it was the land with lights from houses all the way up the side of the hillside!

During the whole night we had lightening surrounding us but no thunder or rain and the most spectacular red sky and sunrise making the long night worth while (almost!)

We could also see a glow on top of one of the hills which we couldn't make out but, as we got nearer, it turned out to be lava flowing out of Mt Etna!



Mt Etna has been very active in the last few years and has had many eruptions, the most recent being this year, luckily with no loss of life or property. They did have to stop the tourist trips for a while though! It constantly smokes and streams out lava into the Valle del Bove below. You can see the smoke and steam above and the glow from the lava at night.



A couple of nights ago we sat in the cockpit watching a couple of planes land and take off by us, scooping up water from the bay and heading back over the mountain to put out fires that had started up in the surrounding forests.



The super yacht next door got quite a good view too!



Comments
Vessel Name: Banjo
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 32
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Andy Doughty/Jane Jarratt
About:
We are Brits but moved to Australia in 2007 and became True Blue Australians in 2014! We bought our first boat, Drimia, in St Maarten in the Caribbean back in 2009 and sailed her back to Australia over nearly a year. [...]
Extra: 17/02/15 In September 2014, illness made us give up our trip and go back to the UK for treatment. Andy has myeloma and had to have chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant. He is now in remission.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svbanjo

Who: Andy Doughty/Jane Jarratt
Port: Sydney