S/V Banjo - Waltzing Round the Med

14 May 2015
27 March 2015 | Gosport
15 March 2015 | Gosport
18 February 2015
20 January 2015 | Gosport
23 December 2014 | Gosport
05 December 2014 | Cartagena
26 November 2014 | Gosport, HANTS
21 November 2014 | Gosport, Hants
09 November 2014 | Gosport, Hants
19 October 2014 | Fareham, Hants
29 September 2014 | Santa Ponsa
10 September 2014 | Palma
01 September 2014 | Santa Ponsa
29 August 2014 | Las Illetas
16 August 2014 | Palma
14 August 2014 | Mahon
11 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Salerno
06 August 2014

Blessing Counting

01 September 2014 | Santa Ponsa
Jane
In the middle of all this hedonism, something has to crop up just to make you review your life and confirm that you are doing the right thing giving up your job and gadding about the world on a boat. We had a bit of that this week.

For the last few weeks, Andy has been complaining off and on about a bit of abdominal pain which I, as the good nurse I am, ignored. Last week, however, it had been getting a bit worse and, as we are in Palma, with top notch medical facilities, we thought we would see a doctor. The English one that we initially tried was on holiday in Scotland strangely but gave us the name of a German doctor whose very posh offices we found tucked in with the German and US consulates. Dr S was a very cool, tanned Internal Medicine specialist dressed in tight white jeans and a polo shirt with an impressive gold Rolex and little trendy glasses. I'm not sure what I expected him to do, probably tell us it was muscular, prescribe analgesia and I could go back to my usual non-caring self, but he prodded Andy's abdomen, did an ultrasound scan and told him that he might have a blockage in his colon and to come back next week for a colonoscopy.

That gave us a week to fret. As many of you will know, I was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2010 and ended up having an anterior resection so we were pretty convinced this was serious and he would have the same. Luckily for us, but possibly not for them, the family arrived for a week so we had lots of diversions but it didn't stop us waking up in the middle of the night planning what we would have to do if the worst came to the worst. Where could we berth Matilda for the winter? Mallorca is extortionate so maybe Cartagena would be best. Would we need some help to get there? Who would be able to come? Maybe my brother? Should we go back to UK or Australia? Can we still get treatment in UK?

Blood results came back earlier showing no abnormalities which cheered us up but Andy still had the pain. Wednesday arrived and the family made themselves scarce while Andy did the dreaded colonoscopy prep. For those of you who have not done this, it's character building!

I sat in the Waiting Room on the next day while he had his procedure doing what you always do in times of trouble. Praying to whoever or whatever that you will be a nicer person, give more to charity, do voluntary work if only this comes out OK. Cool Dr S comes out. "No worries" he says "Nothing major. Just a bit of diverticulosis. Drink more water. Eat more fibre. Lose a bit of weight". We love you, Dr S.

So we did do the right thing selling up and buying a boat. We will be nicer people. We will try and give something back along the way. We will try and remember to appreciate what we're doing now before we have to stop. We will eat more fibre!
Comments
Vessel Name: Banjo
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 32
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Andy Doughty/Jane Jarratt
About:
We are Brits but moved to Australia in 2007 and became True Blue Australians in 2014! We bought our first boat, Drimia, in St Maarten in the Caribbean back in 2009 and sailed her back to Australia over nearly a year. [...]
Extra: 17/02/15 In September 2014, illness made us give up our trip and go back to the UK for treatment. Andy has myeloma and had to have chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant. He is now in remission.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svbanjo

Who: Andy Doughty/Jane Jarratt
Port: Sydney