Makani Kai - Postcards from an adventure

14 June 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
26 May 2010 | Bali, Indonesia
18 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
16 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
14 May 2010 | Uluwatu & Jimbaran Bay, Bali, Indonesia
12 May 2010 | Serangan, Bali, Indonesia
10 May 2010 | Tanah Lot, Bali, Indonesia
09 May 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
06 May 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali, Indonesia
28 April 2010 | Serangan, Bali
22 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
19 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
18 April 2010 | Lovina Beach, Bali
14 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
13 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
10 April 2010 | Nongsa Point Marina, Batam, Indonesia
07 April 2010 | Danga Bay Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
01 April 2010 | Melaka, Malaysia
24 March 2010 | Pangkor Island, Malaysia

Fun times in Bali!

14 June 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
With all the visitors gone it was time to ease back into life on the Makani Kai again. While it felt good to be 'home' again we had both really enjoyed the break away from the boat and Serangan Harbour. It didn't take long before we were back into the swing of things and easing our way back into a way of life we had become accustomed to from taking on water in a uniquely local way to exploring the surrounding areas in our tender.

We had been told that you could get around to Benoa Harbour from Serangan by tender on a high tide so we thought we would pop around one afternoon to see if there was anyone we knew around there in the marina. As always, Jay was keen to go and have a look at all the fishing boats, I don't mind seeing them out on the water but tied up altogether in a harbour the smell, especially in the heat, is not something that particularly entices me. We motored around the boats with locals falling over themselves to wave at our cameras but it wasn't long before the combination of the smell of diesel and fish began to make me feel extremely nauseous. A disappointed Jay vowed to return on his own next time as we motored away from the bad smells to take a look at the changes to nearby Nusa Dua. It wasn't long before the threat of being hit by Japanese tourists on out of control jet skis chased us back to our safe haven of Serangan Harbour.

We have preferred our little paradise of Sanur to anywhere else we have been in Bali, we have access to good restaurants and shopping without the crowds that you get in Kuta. It has been quite windy so Jay has been taking advantage of the weather by taking out the windsurfer. In a perfect compromise I get dropped off at a restaurant in Sanur where we have access to sun lounges and umbrellas which I take full advantage of, enjoying a good book and the people watching while Jay tears back and forth in front of me, stopping only to eat before heading out again. This is the life! The thing I love most about the beach that we have been spending time on is that it is the furthest away from all the resorts. This means that although there are some restaurants here there aren't as many tourists and the beach is frequented instead by locals. It's interesting to watch them all go about their business, some come down to the beach in all their temple finery to make offerings on the sand, children strip off and run joyfully through the water while parents wade in fully clothed and young people sit in the sand madly texting all the friends that are not with them!

Jay's birthday passed by on the 10th without a lot of fuss, eating good food was his only request and so he chose his favourite restaurants and I was more than happy to go along. Breakfast, lunch and dinner out? Fantastic! The days are beginning to blend into one as we bide our time waiting to leave Bali, still a few months to go but in the meantime we leave the boat again in a couple of days to head off to the Canggu area for another break and a friend's wedding. Happy days!
Comments
Vessel Name: Makani Kai
Vessel Make/Model: Stroud 44
Hailing Port: Gold Coast, Queensland
Crew: Jay and Jodie Stroud

Who: Jay and Jodie Stroud
Port: Gold Coast, Queensland