Makani Kai - Postcards from an adventure

14 June 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
26 May 2010 | Bali, Indonesia
18 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
16 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
14 May 2010 | Uluwatu & Jimbaran Bay, Bali, Indonesia
12 May 2010 | Serangan, Bali, Indonesia
10 May 2010 | Tanah Lot, Bali, Indonesia
09 May 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
06 May 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali, Indonesia
28 April 2010 | Serangan, Bali
22 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
19 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
18 April 2010 | Lovina Beach, Bali
14 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
13 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
10 April 2010 | Nongsa Point Marina, Batam, Indonesia
07 April 2010 | Danga Bay Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
01 April 2010 | Melaka, Malaysia
24 March 2010 | Pangkor Island, Malaysia

Finally left Mooloolaba!

12 April 2008 | Urangan Harbour, Hervey Bay, Queensland
Due to the weather conditions we ended up at Mooloolaba for just under a week. At least it was a good chance for the boys to have a bit more of a surf, they won't be getting much in the way of a wave until we hit Indo now. By the way, to all you boys sending the text messages through about how good the surf is down there, thanks! It really puts the boys in a great mood and makes the trip enjoyable, NOT! But laugh it up now boys, once we hit Indo I'm sure the phones will go really quiet.

Anyway we made it to Hervey Bay, coming across Wide Bay Bar was a little bit hairy and we did start surfing down the front of a particularly large wave on the way in. Jay didn't say anything until we'd made it in but he said he was a little nervous when that happened. After anchoring up for a few hours sleep (we left Mooloolaba at 1am and made it through the bar at about 9am) we headed off towards Gary's anchorage.

After the previous weeks on the Gold Coast and in Mooloolaba, the change in the weather was magnificent. Blue skies, blue water and enough breeze to pull the sails up! It was here that we caught our first fish of the trip and yes, contrary to popular belief, it was Jay who caught it! It put up a big fight and even another catamaran that had come through the bar stopped to circle us and see what he had hooked up. The end result was a big Yellow Fin Tuna, Jason and Loretta took advantage of the opportunity to have the freshest sashimi possible and that night we feasted on fresh tuna cooked on the barbie! I don't think Jay will wipe the smile off his face for a few days, especially after the luck we had last time we came through this way.

At Hervey Bay we caught up with Jay's parents, John and Carol, the boys took the opportunity to pick an old sea salts brain and got all the inside information on the best anchorages and what to go and see on our way up the coast. In the meantime the girls got to go to the supermarket to stock up the supplies (yay!), thank you Carol for driving us everywhere, Hervey Bay is very spread out!

As we were about to leave Hervey Bay, we saw Nick and Erica who we met on our last trip at 1770 and caught up with again at Hervey Bay on our way back last time. They have just purchased their first catamaran, congratulations, we're converting the mono contingent one person at a time! Once you go cat, you never go back!

For those of you interested in our fishing adventures we have set up a new Fish of the Day album in the photo gallery section which you will see on the right hand side of this blog. I'm sure we will be updating this daily so make sure you keep an eye on it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Makani Kai
Vessel Make/Model: Stroud 44
Hailing Port: Gold Coast, Queensland
Crew: Jay and Jodie Stroud

Who: Jay and Jodie Stroud
Port: Gold Coast, Queensland