Makani Kai - Postcards from an adventure

14 June 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
26 May 2010 | Bali, Indonesia
18 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
16 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
14 May 2010 | Uluwatu & Jimbaran Bay, Bali, Indonesia
12 May 2010 | Serangan, Bali, Indonesia
10 May 2010 | Tanah Lot, Bali, Indonesia
09 May 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
06 May 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali, Indonesia
28 April 2010 | Serangan, Bali
22 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
19 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
18 April 2010 | Lovina Beach, Bali
14 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
13 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
10 April 2010 | Nongsa Point Marina, Batam, Indonesia
07 April 2010 | Danga Bay Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
01 April 2010 | Melaka, Malaysia
24 March 2010 | Pangkor Island, Malaysia

Fish frenzy!

26 May 2008 | The Low Isles
The Low Isles are not far from Port Douglas, it took us about an hour to get there but the trip itself was horrible, the weather was overcast and drizzly and the wind was up, all of this conspired to make Loretta and I feel a little under the weather, it was like being in a washing machine and every time I went on deck to get some air it started raining. It's the first time for quite some time that either of us have felt remotely seasick.

As we arrived and tied ourselves up to one of the public mooring buoys provided we were greeted by a number of large fish. They hung around our boat the entire time we were there and fought each other for food when we threw some bread overboard. We could also see a fairly large shark circling low under the water. That didn't stop Jason from jumping overboard to check out a huge Tuna that was hanging around as well. Every time we arrived back at the boat in the inflatable they were there to greet us, they even came up to eat out of our hands. They were like dogs.

It wasn't long before we were racing off in the inflatable to step foot on dry land in order to feel better. The walk around the Island is very quick, it is only a very, very small Island. If you run really fast I reckon you could see the back of yourself going around the corner. It was the first lighthouse we had been to which didn't require a big walk up a hill (as much as I love those). The snorkelling was good fun, there was quite a few colourful fish around and live coral, which was nice to see. Of course, Jay and I got told off by the lifeguard there for standing on the reef even though we were standing in a patch of sand while I adjusted my mask. I s'pose he was just doing his job, there was no way I would stand on the reef, I had no flippers and reef cuts hurt!!

Later that evening Loretta, Jason and Jay went over to the other Cay and had a walk around. They were walking through the shallows when they noticed little fins everywhere. There were little reefies darting around through the water. Jay and Jason tried to climb a stick to avoid getting bitten. They didn't manage to get a photo of the sharks and I'm sorry I missed it but being on a boat with 4 people you take your quiet time where you can.

Tomorrow we move on to Cooktown.
Comments
Vessel Name: Makani Kai
Vessel Make/Model: Stroud 44
Hailing Port: Gold Coast, Queensland
Crew: Jay and Jodie Stroud

Who: Jay and Jodie Stroud
Port: Gold Coast, Queensland