Makani Kai - Postcards from an adventure

14 June 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
26 May 2010 | Bali, Indonesia
18 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
16 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
14 May 2010 | Uluwatu & Jimbaran Bay, Bali, Indonesia
12 May 2010 | Serangan, Bali, Indonesia
10 May 2010 | Tanah Lot, Bali, Indonesia
09 May 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
06 May 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali, Indonesia
28 April 2010 | Serangan, Bali
22 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
19 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
18 April 2010 | Lovina Beach, Bali
14 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
13 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
10 April 2010 | Nongsa Point Marina, Batam, Indonesia
07 April 2010 | Danga Bay Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
01 April 2010 | Melaka, Malaysia
24 March 2010 | Pangkor Island, Malaysia

Welcomed into the homes of fishermen!

17 August 2008 | Pulau Raijua, Indonesia
After leaving Savu we headed for Pulau Raijua a remote island whose coastline was dotted with villages. We finally made it to the anchorage only to find that it was going to be unsuitable, it was very exposed and lumpy but we decided to take the opportunity for a break and stretch our legs on shore before getting some shut eye and undertaking a night sail. Jay and Ian decided to go in search of a surf, they had seen a right hander in the distance but on closer inspection they found that it was breaking too fast. After speaking to some locals on shore they were told that it does get good. Michelle and I attempted to get to shore for a walk but the only place we could take the dinghy in was very narrow with rocks at head height either side, while we both have faith in our dinghy driving talents even we questioned our ability to slip through this dangerous looking gap. It wasn't long before Jay and Ian returned to come to shore with us and with an attitude of 'we'll just go through fast and see what happens' we made it through the gap to the beach.

As usual there was a local sitting on the beach watching us come in, ready to give us the guided tour of his village. The village was very well maintained with new dirt roads and bridges crossing shallow trenches in place for the rainy season, we climbed to the top of the hill where Ian and Jay could take a bird's eye look at the surf. We were given permission to enter the village and a fisherman who had been on a boat we had followed into the anchorage came out to greet us. Pigs, goats, dogs, cats, chickens and horses all roamed freely through the village and the laughter of the children carried through the air as they ran beside bicycle wheels which they continually tapped with a stick to keep them moving, this seems to be a favoured toy in the area. It wasn't long before we were surrounded by the fisherman's family and they encouraged us to take photos of their family and home, delighting in the fact that we could show them the photos instantaneously on our digital cameras. Jay did manage to distress the matriarch of the family when he asked if he could take a photo of her, she became agitated and upset and disappeared. Old Ibu finally reappeared and we realised what the problem had been, she had put an orange t-shirt on under her sarong, when Jay requested the photo she had bare shoulders, this is a no-no in many of these villages and is the reason we often have to cover up before we enter them. With her t-shirt on she was happy to pose for photos with her family!

We were invited into their home and offered the only chairs they had as they all crowded around us in the Indonesian squatting style of sitting. A few quick words spoken by the fisherman and a young pregnant woman disappeared into another area, returning with four glasses of a sweet brown liquid and a large tin filled with the same liquid for refills. It was a Palm Sugar drink which is a speciality of the area, after they explained that the drink is made by boiling the Palm Sugar and water, we politely partook. It was very sweet, too sweet for me, but I persevered not wanting to offend this family that had so graciously taken us into their home. The thought of Bali Belly was on our minds but luckily we all emerged unscathed. All too soon it was time to go back to our boats, it was shame that the anchorage was no good as it would have been nice to spend some more time with these people but we needed some sleep before heading for Sumba.
Comments
Vessel Name: Makani Kai
Vessel Make/Model: Stroud 44
Hailing Port: Gold Coast, Queensland
Crew: Jay and Jodie Stroud

Who: Jay and Jodie Stroud
Port: Gold Coast, Queensland