Makani Kai - Postcards from an adventure

14 June 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
26 May 2010 | Bali, Indonesia
18 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
16 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
14 May 2010 | Uluwatu & Jimbaran Bay, Bali, Indonesia
12 May 2010 | Serangan, Bali, Indonesia
10 May 2010 | Tanah Lot, Bali, Indonesia
09 May 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
06 May 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali, Indonesia
28 April 2010 | Serangan, Bali
22 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
19 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
18 April 2010 | Lovina Beach, Bali
14 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
13 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
10 April 2010 | Nongsa Point Marina, Batam, Indonesia
07 April 2010 | Danga Bay Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
01 April 2010 | Melaka, Malaysia
24 March 2010 | Pangkor Island, Malaysia

Chinese Medicine, Monks and Markets

28 October 2008 | Chinatown, Singapore
After the fun we had in Little India we decided to hit Chinatown next, travelling on the MRT we alighted right in the middle of the action at the Peoples Park Complex. The Peoples Park Complex was several levels filled with what looked like market stalls, there were so many of them crammed in together that you almost had to squeeze through them. It was the same with most of the shopping complexes in Chinatown of which there are many. There is no concept of personal space and it can feel quite claustrophobic walking through there, especially as there is no air conditioning in these complexes so the heat adds to the discomfort. We escaped from there as soon as we could and went straight over the pedestrian bridge into the Smith Street markets. The hustle and bustle here was more like it, market stalls competed with shops and antique stores, there was a lot colour, movement and bargains to be had.

We strolled through the street eventually coming upon a clearing filled with men, mainly elderly, playing chess. It was very serious with plenty of spectators standing around watching them. We continued on, by now we were hungry and were keen to find somewhere with air conditioning to have lunch. There were plenty of food courts with hawker stalls but everything seemed to be deep fried and the heat was really uncomfortable. Eventually we found a nice air conditioned restaurant full of local Chinese and upon entering they told us they were closed, despite the fact they were still seating and taking orders from people. We got the feeling they didn't want any foreigners there, they told us to go back to the food court. Eventually we found a restaurant, complete with live fish and eels in tanks in the front window and although there were no people there (not always a good sign) the food was great (the steamed shrimp wantons were a particular favourite of mine) and the service friendly.

The best way to see a place is to wander aimlessly around, this is when you often come upon little treasures that you may not have found otherwise. It was nice to see that in amongst some of the high-rises that make up Singapore was some traditional, distinctly Chinese looking architecture. We stood and watched part of a Chinese Opera performance in a small closed off area right next to the road.

Walking on we found a temple called the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple where a ceremony was taking place. To enter the temple you must be dressed conservatively, this means no bare shoulders or shorts above the knee. They provided me with a wrap for my shoulders and we were allowed to enter. Photographs were permitted throughout the temple and we were able to get some good shots. The temple itself is dedicated to the Maitreya Buddha who is considered the Buddha of the future and is also known as the Laughing Buddha. At present he is considered as one of the dhyani-Bodhisattvas, the creators of the universe. In the future he will be like Sakyamuni, a mortal manusi Buddha who lives on earth for a while in order to teach mankind the doctrine. Maitreya is translated as 'the loving one'.

Upon entering the temple you are struck by the main hall which is 27 feet high, the opulence of this hall will take your breath away. Apparently the architecture and decor of this temple was inspired by the Tang Dynasty, an era when Buddhism flourished in China. Again, as with most temples we have visited there is a feeling of calm that comes over you when you enter, there is no need for words and you just wander around and take it all in... The temple also had a Buddhist Culture Museum where they had lots of statues and carvings on display along with a brief explanation of the different Buddhas and Buddhism itself. All of the artwork on display was 'sponsored' (donated to the temple) by local families (rich families) some of the items were in the price range of $30,000 and above! And I thought the Catholic Church was wealthy! Moving on to the rooftop there is a small room housing a prayer wheel, by placing a hand on the wooden bar encircling it and walking around in a clockwise direction making 4 turns, each one noted with the clang of a bell, it will bring you good luck. The room is surrounded by a well tended garden of an orchid called the Dendrobium Buddha Tooth, this species of orchid has been specially named for the temple. The best thing about it is that it was free to go here! Singapore tends to get money out of you for everything (even serviettes in some restaurants), this was one of the best experiences we had in Singapore and it did not cost one red razoo! I would recommend that anyone going to Singapore should visit the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple.
Comments
Vessel Name: Makani Kai
Vessel Make/Model: Stroud 44
Hailing Port: Gold Coast, Queensland
Crew: Jay and Jodie Stroud

Who: Jay and Jodie Stroud
Port: Gold Coast, Queensland