Makani Kai - Postcards from an adventure

14 June 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
26 May 2010 | Bali, Indonesia
18 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
16 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
14 May 2010 | Uluwatu & Jimbaran Bay, Bali, Indonesia
12 May 2010 | Serangan, Bali, Indonesia
10 May 2010 | Tanah Lot, Bali, Indonesia
09 May 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
06 May 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali, Indonesia
28 April 2010 | Serangan, Bali
22 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
19 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
18 April 2010 | Lovina Beach, Bali
14 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
13 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
10 April 2010 | Nongsa Point Marina, Batam, Indonesia
07 April 2010 | Danga Bay Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
01 April 2010 | Melaka, Malaysia
24 March 2010 | Pangkor Island, Malaysia

The Emerald Cave

03 March 2009 | Ko Muk, Thailand
Ko Muk is a beautiful island in Southern Thailand not far from Malaysia. We stopped there on the way to Langkawi for a look and we weren't disappointed. We experienced our first lot of rain in Thailand which may explain why the island was so lush and green, the interior of this island is dominated by rubber plantations. It is part of the Hat Chao Mai National Park and bungalow style resorts dot sections of the coastline.

The other drawcard of Ko Muk is Tham Morakot (the Emerald Cave). You literally swim through this cave to access a hidden beach on the other side. It can be quite eerie going through as part of the way is in complete darkness, the tunnel through is limestone and bats live in the roof of the cave, boats and kayaks may be paddled through, outboards are a no-no as they disturb the bat population but it is really easier to swim through anyway. We were lucky enough to get there before the hordes of tourists descended and had the place completely to ourselves which was just pure magic. The tunnel is about 80 metres long and the sound of the waves crashing through echoes throughout the cave. The locals used to come through here to gather birds' nests but the swallows don't tend to nest here anymore. It was later used by pirates who used to store all their stolen goods throughout the cave. We had to take a torch through with us as it is possible to take a wrong turn and it is disconcerting to hear the bellowing of the waves and the smell from the bats (they are really stinky) but soon you round a corner and a shaft of light pierces through the darkness. What you walk out into is amazing. A beautiful white sand beach surrounded by limestone cliffs and lush rainforests. There is no other way to get to this beach and when you are the first ones there for the day it is possible to imagine that you are discovering it for the very first time. As I said earlier, it was magical!
Comments
Vessel Name: Makani Kai
Vessel Make/Model: Stroud 44
Hailing Port: Gold Coast, Queensland
Crew: Jay and Jodie Stroud

Who: Jay and Jodie Stroud
Port: Gold Coast, Queensland