Makani Kai - Postcards from an adventure

14 June 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
26 May 2010 | Bali, Indonesia
18 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
16 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
14 May 2010 | Uluwatu & Jimbaran Bay, Bali, Indonesia
12 May 2010 | Serangan, Bali, Indonesia
10 May 2010 | Tanah Lot, Bali, Indonesia
09 May 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
06 May 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali, Indonesia
28 April 2010 | Serangan, Bali
22 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
19 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
18 April 2010 | Lovina Beach, Bali
14 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
13 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
10 April 2010 | Nongsa Point Marina, Batam, Indonesia
07 April 2010 | Danga Bay Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
01 April 2010 | Melaka, Malaysia
24 March 2010 | Pangkor Island, Malaysia

Goodbye Paul and Gemma!

31 July 2009 | Bay of Plenty, The Banyaks, Sumatera
The day of Paul and Gemma's arrival was a busy one. We were picked up by Ranu and Lusman at 11am, jumping into the back of the black pick up we set off for the supermarkets and fruit and vegetable markets. The ferry had arrived that morning with fresh produce so everything at the market was of good quality. Unfortunately that day the rain decided to make our day difficult, we were travelling in an open tray back ute which meant that both ourselves and our shopping was bound to get soaked. But when the rain came down we noticed that Lusman had disappeared and on his return he had rigged up a tarp over the back so that we could travel safely through the rain staying dry and therefore happy. Having Ranu with us was fantastic, all of a sudden the prices at the market were reasonable and he argued on our behalf when the prices suddenly doubled for the whitey's. It made us realise that on our previous trips, although still cheap, we were paying a lot more than the locals were!

On the way back to the boat with our purchases including fuel we stopped off to pick up items we had ordered through Ranu who has his own shop and cafe, (he gets us fresh chickens which he keeps in his freezers for us), while we were there the boys put some reclining plastic chairs in the back of the ute so we could travel in style. We made quite a sight sitting under the tarp in our deck chairs, all the locals laughed when they caught a glimpse of us! By the time we got back to the boat which was anchored in Busung we had just enough time to dump our shopping before having to race off to meet Paul and Gemma, we arrived with ten minutes to spare. The tiny aeroplane taxied in and there they were. Gemma commented that she had felt a little uncomfortable as the plane they arrived in was the same as the ones they used to jump out of when they were sky diving, only this time she didn't have the comfort of a parachute! Loaded into our luxury transport we headed back to Busung, lugged the bags and surfboards across a paddock complete with water buffalo and onto the beach where the inflatable sat. A quick trip out to the Makani Kai, pulled the anchor up and we were off, we decided to pull an overnighter so that we would wake in the Banyaks the next day. Paul pulled in our first fish for a while on the way, a Giant Trevally which we enjoyed on the barbeque the next night. We arrived at Bangkaru in the Banyaks at about 3am, Jay had done most of the trip on his own and was absolutely exhausted.

The next morning we woke to no surf but got off the boat anyway to have a walk and check out the tracks of 'Snappy' as we affectionately refer to the resident croc which has not yet been sighted in body but the tracks give an indication that he is about 3 - 4 metres. The tracks were so new and big that we had been able to see them from the boat. A photo taken with Gemma's foot of the croc's foot showed it to be about 3 times the width of hers and twice the length. Gemma has pretty small feet but that's still pretty big! We soon headed over to the Bay of Plenty and, you guessed it, there was no surf there either! Are you starting to see a pattern here? We spent time snorkelling, swimming, paddling to the beach and fishing. Paul caught a Coral Trout and Jay reeled in a Blue Tuna on a trip over to Bangkaru to look for waves. The boys surfed at Cobra's and Machine Gun Rights at Bangkaru and the right at the Bay of Plenty but it was small. Unfortunately for Paul it was the flattest we have seen it in the 3 months we have been here. Over the ten days that the Truman's were with us there were 6 charter boats coming and going who were struggling to find anything for their punters. One joked that he was on 'suicide watch' for nine people. The good news for those following the Truman's is that it looks like the swell has arrived and there should be good waves for our next two lots of visitors. We would ask that people leave Paul alone and acknowledge that he has sacrificed himself to 'Huey' so that those that follow AND went before can enjoy good waves. Well, that and the fact that he may punch you in the nose if you ever mention this surf trip to him!!

We did however have a win when the boys approached a local fishing boat and enquired as to whether or not they had some lobster, to which they replied, 'Ada!' (Have!) Our last night in the Banyaks was spent feasting on a 2.8kg lobster, 4kgs of the Indo version of a Morton Bay Bug and sand crabs, all purchased for the equivalent of about AU$90! A fine end to what was a disappointing surf trip but ultimately a good chance to catch up with friends. We miss you already guys and look forward to catching up again soon!!

Great to see people leaving messages on the blog, relatives of Ian and Michelle can be assured that we are passing on your messages to them and we will continue to bring you news of their adventures! To our families I would like to say it was great to speak to you all and that I miss you all very much. Keep leaving us messages or drop us an email, we love to hear from everyone.
Comments
Vessel Name: Makani Kai
Vessel Make/Model: Stroud 44
Hailing Port: Gold Coast, Queensland
Crew: Jay and Jodie Stroud

Who: Jay and Jodie Stroud
Port: Gold Coast, Queensland