Makani Kai - Postcards from an adventure

14 June 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
26 May 2010 | Bali, Indonesia
18 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
16 May 2010 | Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
14 May 2010 | Uluwatu & Jimbaran Bay, Bali, Indonesia
12 May 2010 | Serangan, Bali, Indonesia
10 May 2010 | Tanah Lot, Bali, Indonesia
09 May 2010 | Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
06 May 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali, Indonesia
28 April 2010 | Serangan, Bali
22 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
19 April 2010 | Serangan Harbour, Bali
18 April 2010 | Lovina Beach, Bali
14 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
13 April 2010 | Belitung, Indonesia
10 April 2010 | Nongsa Point Marina, Batam, Indonesia
07 April 2010 | Danga Bay Marina, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
01 April 2010 | Melaka, Malaysia
24 March 2010 | Pangkor Island, Malaysia

Jlow and Mel’s adventure in Sumatera!

15 August 2009 | Sinabang, Pulau Simeulue, Sumatera
We only had a couple of days to wait between dropping the Truman's off and picking up JLow and Mel, just enough time to make sure the boat was restocked and ready to go. As always the plane arrived on time with Mel almost kissing the ground in thanks that they had arrived safely (the plane is very small), we think she was very brave to even get on it. We quickly loaded into the back of our luxury transport (the ute) and we were off. We set sail (well, motor) for Pulau Bangkaru. Already the swell had picked up (sorry Paul) and Jay and JLow enjoyed some nice little 3 - 4 foot right handers to start off with.

We spent a couple of days over at Bangkaru, most of which Mel and I spent on the boat talking up a storm and flicking through the eagerly anticipated girlie magazines to find out the latest celebrity gossip. I realise how long we have been away from home and civilisation when I don't recognise the vast majority of celebrities featured in the magazines!! We made an obligatory trip to see if Snappy had been around but the tracks were old ones. We have since heard that a couple of guys ventured up one of the creeks in a dinghy and quickly turned around and left when a big splash was heard in front of them and the swirl on the surface left them in no doubt that they had almost come face to face with Snappy! We soon left for the Bay of Plenty where the beach is more accessible for the girls (and crocs have not been sighted).

At the Bay the boys enjoyed waves every day in the 3 - 5 foot range with the barrelly end section getting a good workout. They were enjoying at least a couple of surfs every day. Mel and I continued our days of sloth, thoroughly enjoying the chance to catch up, relax and read books (Mel managed to finish four in her time here). JLow took the opportunity to show off his newly acquired lifeguarding skills by paddling Mel into the beach 'Iron Man style' on our paddle board. While the surf was good the weather was average, it was still warm and occasionally the sun would peek its head out from under a cloud but there was a fair bit of rain putting a dampener (pardon the pun) on a lot of our activities. We did venture around the back of the Bay to a place Jay and I refer to as La La Land which is accessed through a creek opening out into a bigger waterway dotted with a series of Palm fringed islands. Unfortunately on our way back we were caught in a big storm and had misjudged the tides meaning that we had to drag the inflatable across shallow parts while the rain poured down on us.

The time flew by and it wasn't long before it was time to start heading back to Sinabang, the guys experienced firsthand a couple of Sumatrans, saw some sea snakes, spotted some water spouts near the bay and met some of the local fishermen. After a final get together with Ian and Michelle on board the Makani Kai we headed back to Sinabang.

Thanks for joining us guys we had a blast and thank you for the little pressie you hid under the towels in your room, we really appreciate it although it was not necessary it was truly a pleasure to have you on board.
Comments
Vessel Name: Makani Kai
Vessel Make/Model: Stroud 44
Hailing Port: Gold Coast, Queensland
Crew: Jay and Jodie Stroud

Who: Jay and Jodie Stroud
Port: Gold Coast, Queensland