Jazzy Lady's 2019/20 Cruising Adventure

Vessel Name: Jazzy Lady
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina
Hailing Port: Montreal
Crew: Meg, Mark, Annie, Alistair
23 April 2020
30 March 2020
25 March 2020
13 March 2020
21 February 2020
21 February 2020
08 February 2020
16 January 2020
09 January 2020
03 January 2020
29 December 2019 | Paradise
17 December 2019
12 December 2019
06 December 2019
06 December 2019
24 November 2019
Recent Blog Posts
23 April 2020

REFLECTIONS

30 March 2020

Night Watch

(March 28th)

25 March 2020

Emergency Migration

Emergency Migration

13 March 2020

The Three Musketeers

Mark has gone away for four week-long stints of work, one each month since December. The first time we had Tracy with us, the second time we had my Mom with us, last month we had Walden to play with every day after school and this month it was just us three musketeers:) So it actually felt like [...]

01 March 2020

Jazzy Lady bursts at the seams

*This post starts while on the last full day of our trip, and ends a few days after our arrival home.

21 February 2020

Still in Spanish Wells

At home one of my favourite summer delights is lying in a hammock listening to the wind rustle through oak or maple leaves. Another audible treat is the smoother, lighter swishing of the wind through the needles of a pine tree. Here in Bahamas I am storing the audio memory of wind through palm trees. [...]

Roadblock

26 September 2019
megan osler
ROADBLOCK...Go back 3 spaces

Ah, how fickle the good times are...
Mere hours after blog entry 2 was written we ran aground
There is no easy way to put it, I've been dreading this confession since the moment our luck turned on Saturday. We were chugging along happy as clams, just south of lock 7. Mark was about to go down to make lunch, I had just taken the helm. All of a sudden the depth sounder read 3 feet, there was a green marker to port and the rest is history I would rather not remember. When heading south on the Intracoastal Waterway, vessels are to keep green markers on starboard and red markers on port. Bottom line, GOLDEN RULE, not rocket science.
As all who have navigated the ICW will tell you, don't take a single moment for granted. You can never check your markers ahead, your charts, your depths too often. These are narrow waterways and the shallow spots can be VERY shallow indeed. Another thing most boat owners will tell you is that it's not a question of WHETHER you've run aground, it's a question of WHEN you'll run aground if you haven't already..
In the end, we towed ourselves back to deeper waters with our own dinghy and limped Jazzy Lady through the remaining Champlain locks with a stiff rudder. We are staying at Coeyman's Marina in New York State (nearest town Revena)
The actual grounding incident was fairly benign but our rudder took a hit in the course of getting ourselves out of the mess. (Long story to tell around the fire one night). Our 'little ding' has us waiting for a new rudder to be made. It is certainly the most embarrassing (and most expensive!) thing I've ever done. It was an awful experience, never to be repeated!
Alas, we must put it behind us...onward and upward, as they say.
Rudder will be ready by Sunday but Mark flies on his last scheduled pairing (until Dec) from which he won't return until next Thursday so Friday may be when we continue on down the river. It is VERY frustrating to sit idle and wait. However, the kids are tickled pink with our LONG stay here. There are some regular boaters who seem to be retired folks that have chosen to treat this spot as their seasonal home, using it as their jump-off point for day trips, etc. All are very friendly and somehow charmed by Annie&Alistair:) We are doing our daily schooling, playing football, soccer, darts, puzzles, walks into town, visits with the resident swan who loiters around, having recently lost his mate.
I am disappointed in the forced change to our plans...I'd hoped we'd be able to rendezvous with my Mom in NYC while Mark will be flying. What do they say about the best laid plans?.....must be more of that Mariners advice I've been hearing along the way...
Can anyone spot which appendage is missing from Jazzy Lady in this picture?
Comments

About & Links