Jazzy Lady's 2019/20 Cruising Adventure

Vessel Name: Jazzy Lady
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina
Hailing Port: Montreal
Crew: Meg, Mark, Annie, Alistair
23 April 2020
30 March 2020
25 March 2020
13 March 2020
21 February 2020
21 February 2020
08 February 2020
16 January 2020
09 January 2020
03 January 2020
29 December 2019 | Paradise
17 December 2019
12 December 2019
06 December 2019
06 December 2019
24 November 2019
Recent Blog Posts
23 April 2020

REFLECTIONS

30 March 2020

Night Watch

(March 28th)

25 March 2020

Emergency Migration

Emergency Migration

13 March 2020

The Three Musketeers

Mark has gone away for four week-long stints of work, one each month since December. The first time we had Tracy with us, the second time we had my Mom with us, last month we had Walden to play with every day after school and this month it was just us three musketeers:) So it actually felt like [...]

01 March 2020

Jazzy Lady bursts at the seams

*This post starts while on the last full day of our trip, and ends a few days after our arrival home.

21 February 2020

Still in Spanish Wells

At home one of my favourite summer delights is lying in a hammock listening to the wind rustle through oak or maple leaves. Another audible treat is the smoother, lighter swishing of the wind through the needles of a pine tree. Here in Bahamas I am storing the audio memory of wind through palm trees. [...]

Growing SeaLegs

10 October 2019
megan osler

We are at Great Kills Marina, just south of New York City.
We arrived yesterday and will head offshore for 24 hours on Sunday if weather forecast sticks. That will bring us down to Delaware Bay.
Our mast went up, with no hiccups, on Monday. It was an ALL-DAY affair though! Good gracious, we worked hard! The Marina staff are careful and patient, as they raise our mast with the crane and stay close enough to support us until we have it secured enough to stand on its own. Then they leave the MILLIONS of remaining details to us: putting the rigging all back together where it belongs....like compiling a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle (many of which we completed on our two week hiatus). The rain that day was RELENTLESS. It ebbed and flowed between drizzling and pouring while Mark and I toiled away, becoming totally saturated by the time we were finished at 5 pm.
A brief sample of what we accomplished: securing the forestay, backstay, the 6 shrouds, tensioning them for equal pressure between port and starboard, hoisting the foresail permanently, running the halyards and foresail furling line into cockpit, re-running the furling line after initially winding it in the wrong direction, attaching boom to mast, putting mainsail hanks into mast track, hoisting the lazy jacks, re-connecting all the wiring through the mast and, finally, waterproofing the seal at the mast step so MY side of the bed doesn't get dripped on all night.
Today and tomorrow we are preparing our little vessel for our day and night off the coast. The weather calls for 5-10 knots of wind, 3-5 foot seas. Very reasonable. The length of the fair weather window is such that we are tempted to stay out on the ocean for two or three night, however, that would have us bypassing Chesapeake Bay and it is supposed to be a beautiful section to cruise through with rich American history to soak up so we will just spend the one night offshore.
We are checking out Central Park, the ´high line´, 9/11 Memorial and F.A.O Schwartz on Saturday. We've befriended a solo sailor who is also hopping offshore on Sunday. Nice to make some sailing buddies.
Annie was ecstatic to see our first jellyfish today
Comments

About & Links