Two To Tango in the Wind

Janet and John Harrington's blog as they sail Tango from San Francisco, CA (USA) to the South Pacific, Tonga, New Zealand, back to the US, and beyond.

Landfall on Tuesday!

Barring unexpected problems or seriously odd weather, not that that would happen to Tango, we will anchor in Taiohae, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands Tuesday afternoon, 16 Apr 2019. That's tomorrow! Our trip will have taken 26 days or 3 weeks and 5 days, or 630 hours, one bottle of vodka and several boxes of wine, about 4 showers for the crew (not counting the free washdowns in the rain), about 2 gallons or diesel fuel for the generator daily (fridge/freezer cooling, watermaking, USB device recharging (perish the thought that we let our cellphones die), 30 gallons of water/day starting out and decreasing to about 15 gal/day ending, no caught fish, and a short list of repairs.

It has been a good trip with a lot of learning for all. Sail operations are no longer suicide attempts, our daily routine is very consistent, we flexed for the hard times (bad weather 2 person watches, boat problems, helping one another, etc) We didn't see the amount of sea life expected. We did see a Fin Whale, dolphin pods, had a booby rider for one night. Despite our best efforts all fish along our path survived our attempts to eat them.

We will try to get some photos uploaded, no promises on that tho. About 30 hours to go!


Comments