Two To Tango in the Wind

Janet and John Harrington's blog as they sail Tango from San Francisco, CA (USA) to the South Pacific, Tonga, New Zealand, back to the US, and beyond.

We are in Tonga!

Tango has made it to Tonga. We aborted our initial attempt to get to Tonga when the autopilot broke in heavy seas and we diverted to American Samoa for repairs. We were VERY lucky and got a perfect part from another boat. Installation and calibration of the autopilot was pretty easy and we departed Pago Pago on Wednesday, 31 July. Our trip took 3 days and included a shift to Tonga date/time. Essentially we never had Friday 2 August. Tonga's calendar is on the "other side" of the international date line.... Too hard to think about that.

Our sail was very nice until TODAY. We had quartering seas for most of the trip and made good time. Approaching Tonga we ran into a weather front. Starting Saturday night we had fog, calm winds, and growing seas (from the approaching front). Early this morning the winds went crazy and jumped up to 25 kts. Janet drove Tango through most of the crazy winds. We knew they were coming so we were reefed down and never really had any problem.

We got into our anchorage around noon and picked up a very robust mooring ball. We have to clear customs tomorrow and that will take hours probably. After that we'll catch up on some maintenance and then start exploring. So far gorgeous! Can't wait for the sun to come out.

J&J


Comments