Two To Tango in the Wind

Janet and John Harrington's blog as they sail Tango from San Francisco, CA (USA) to the South Pacific, Tonga, New Zealand, back to the US, and beyond.

Exploring Tonga

Tango is exploring Tonga. The diving and snorkeling are "best ever". We have snorkeled into Swallows Cave and explored several reefs and underwater walls. The walls are where the coral and volcanic rock zoom UP UP UP from over 200ft deep to the cliffs and reefs that make up Tonga. In the matter of 20ft the depth goes from deep to very shallow.

We have been moored for two days on a ball in Port Maurelle which is on the west side of Kapa Island. Calm and beautiful. We motored the dinghy over to the cave. The cave is obvious from the boat. As you swim in you cross a wall that is aobout 10ft deep. On the ocean side is is WAY deep; on the cave side is is about 20ft deep. It was very very cool. We'll probably swim that again. We did take some photos but getting them uploaded is a challenge. In the cave John dove and swam through a ball of hundreds small (5") of fish. Under them, at the floor in the cave (about 30'deep), was another layer of larger 1ft fish circling in a 10ft donut shaped circle. Looking up you could see through a hole to the sky and trees, etc. Really cool. Yesterday Janet and some friends snorkeled the reef edging our anchorage. They saw a turtle, moray eel, Rasps cleaning other fish and lots of other things.

Today is Friday, Thursday in Nebraska. Tomorrow we have a whale swimming adventure planned. This is an all day excursion, with boating friends, on a commercial diving boat. It should be a blast. The guides say that we will see whales for sure. If the whales are calm we'll swim with them. If they are moving too quickly then we will watch them and try to find some friendly whales. More on this adventure later; its a bucket list thing for John.

We like Tonga. It is a friendly place that could use a bit if investment (more than Tango can add!). The people are very friendly and nearly everyone speaks english. We are able to get food provisions, but not everything every day. Vegi's, eggs, and some fruits are local. The rest come in from NZ, Austrailia, and the US on Tongan ferries about weekly. There is a pretty good chandlery shop in town that is connected to the newish boatyard in Vava'u. They have the right stuff, but not a big selection. For example they have the common Racor fuel filters but not the odd-ball brands.

Our three favorite places in Neiafu Harbor are Mango (great dinghy dock, really good food, internet), the Hideaway (a bright blue houseboat that is moored in the harbor and serves upl Margaritas, beer, and superb fish & chips), and a short walk out of the small town is Hepi Pizza (really good pizza). All of these are small venues, not fancy, but provide friendly conversation, fun, and great food.


Comments