Two To Tango in the Wind

Janet and John Harrington's blog as they sail Tango from San Francisco, CA (USA) to the South Pacific, Tonga, New Zealand, back to the US, and beyond.

Sailing to Minerva Reef

Tango had a great run today. Thru most of the daylight hours we sailed 7.5-8.5kt. This morning the winds calmed into the mid-teens which settled the sea and let us set more sail. The main is reefed at the 3rd highest (of 4) point which is about 1/3 of its' area, the staysail was out 100% and the Geneoa was out about 65%. This gave us a pretty nice ride and was well balanced (0-deg rudder) too. This evening the winds have picked up back into the 20's so we have shortened sail and we are working to slow Tango to 6-6.5 kts for the evening. Easier said than done. Looks like we are sailing into nice sunny conditions too. It was been rainy and cloudy for a week so we are looking forward to the sunshine. We can also tell the temp is getting cooler. We are wearing our foul weather farmer-johns & Janets to keep us warm in the cool 20+ kts of wind.

All is well with Tango and we are a bit ahead of plan. We expect to get to Minerva on Tuesday, early AM... and continue right-on-by without stopping to take advantage of the weather heading to NZ.

J&J


Comments