Two To Tango in the Wind

Janet and John Harrington's blog as they sail Tango from San Francisco, CA (USA) to the South Pacific, Tonga, New Zealand, back to the US, and beyond.

Tango; Stuck in Baltimore

Just catching up our blog once again. The last entries were from our cruise through part of the Bahamas. In June 2022 we returned to the US, landing in Port Canaveral for a few days. From there we headed North visiting ports in FL, GA, SC, NC, and MD/VA in Chesapeake Bay. We planned to stay in Baltimore for a month and get caught up on projects, until...

Janet stepped off Tango and her right foot broke. Think cast-like boot, crutches, and a knee roller. 3 months with zero weight on that foot. We are into November, and she is now allowed to walk without her boot or gimpy applicances.

Covid! We both caught Covid and basically spent the month of October recovering. Then, we both rebounded and recovered again. We missed John's 45th USCGA reunion but did catch up with a few masked and separated visitors at our isolation beach house.

Boat projects. One of the reasons we travelled to Baltimore was to allow us to catch up on Tango's maintenance. We planned to take a month to accomplish our list and we almost made it! The list.

Main Engine and Generator pump raw water impeller replacement
Mast Aft Stay hydraulic tensioner rebuild
Steering gear maintenance (bushings, seals, brake pads, bearing, greasing)
Aft rail gas tank mount rebuild (rusting "car" mount replacement)
Toilet flushing control update (grind only, water rinse only, regular flush)
Add quick flush plumbing to HVAC and Fridge/Freezer condenser raw water
plumbing (sea grass, sludge, etc. clogging strainers every 2 days in ICW and
Baltimore Harbor)
Rebuild inner staysail roller reefing top and bottom units (bearings/seals)
Descaling of the 4-HVAC units, main engine, and generator raw water cooling
systems
Improve the belt alignment for the helm-pilot style autopilot stopping belt slip
in big seas
Refrigerator shelf extension (fill the hole so stuff doesn't fall)
Replace the shore power main entrance ELCI (ground fault) breaker
Replace Tango's navigation PC then get everything running again (no minor
accomplishment)
Buying a RIB new inflatable for Tango and sewing "Chaps" for it

More coming soon...


Comments