Two To Tango in the Wind

Janet and John Harrington's blog as they sail Tango from San Francisco, CA (USA) to the South Pacific, Tonga, New Zealand, back to the US, and beyond.

Follow up on Tango's Drive Line & Generator Fixes

Janet and I got Tango into Port Canaveral safe and sound. I still wasn't happy with the way the engine felt. The vibration was less but still not right. I asked a well respected yacht mechanical company to come and look. Glad I did that. The mechanic had me put Tango into and out of gear while he watched and felt things in the engine room. He found the port aft engine mount is lose from the hull stringer that it is supposed to be FIRMLY attached too. When I described the shaft coupler as being able to easily slide up and down the shaft and with a broken clamping set screw he told be we need to haul Tango and remove the drive line components and get this all fixed before we do serious damage. So... 3rd week in January we will haul Tango and start the work. The boatyard, mechanical company and I are working toward a 3-week haul out period. The propeller, shaft, and coupler go to a machine shop specializing in this type of work. They will probably replace the coupler, machine the face of the so it is 90-degrees to the shaft, then align and balance the shaft, propeller, and coupler. With all that done we'll reinstall and align the engine to the coupler face, install a new DriveSaver anti vibration disk, then we'll test, adjust, and then refloat Tango and get moving again.

Fischer Panda Generator... well it's fixed, once again. I found the same issue, again, where Fischer Panda's process for crimping was a bit off. The crimps were crimped way too tightly slicing most of the way through the wire. GrrrrRRR! I've replaced almost all the crimps now. I'm also raising the generator 4-inches with custom welded frame. Raising the 350lb generator took some thought and trip around town to collect lumber, bolts, screws, and an electric winch.

The generator lift

The local welding fabricator has been a delight to work with an the 4" lifting platform will be installed after we return from Omaha, Christmas, and 2 winter storms... Yup we're once again paying money to leave the warmth!

Happy Holidays to all


Comments