Two To Tango in the Wind

Janet and John Harrington's blog as they sail Tango from San Francisco, CA (USA) to the South Pacific, Tonga, New Zealand, back to the US, and beyond.

Catching Up from George Town, Great Exuma Is, Bahamas

Oh Bother... more weather delays. I tried extra hard to leave this morning but our weather router, Chris Parker, talked me out of it. There is a trough/front coming through Wed/Thurs with full GALE force winds (50 kts). I was thinking of trying to beat it but we can't. So, we will sit on a roadstead anchor (middle of a channel) between Stocking Island and George Town. The weather will bring STRONG N and NE winds starting tomorrow. The backside of the trough will keep the path between us and Panama stirred up until mid next week...

Janet and I sailed out of Cape Canaveral, crossed the Gulf Stream's 4 kt northerly current, played bumper boat with 5 Passenger Cruise ships as we turned South on the far side of the Abaco's. We snuck on to the Abaco banks and Abaco Sea via Walker Cay Cut. That was an interesting navigation exercise. The wind had DIED DEAD and we motored down to Green Turtle Cay and checked into the Bahamas. Our trip over was in loose company with our friends on Bay Wind. After a day a Green Turtle Cay we decided to take advantage of an unusual Southerly wind and sail to George Town. Ww had a fast and fun sail all the way! George Town is a good sized settlement and we enjoyed visiting restaurants, the grocery store, and the NAPA Auto Parts store. NAPA - think unhappy 5 HP Honda outboard. A bit of carb cleaning and new filters... its 100% again.

We also tried out our new Achilles inflatable rigid hull dinghy. Way better than the old blowup dinghy. The 5 HP underpowers the dinghy somewhat but it is still heads and tails better than the old dinghy.

Getting to George Town put Janet and I on target for a mid-March Panama arrival. That is, until the weather went dead right before a a strong trough moves south across the Bahamas. So... now we wait. Janet is reading in the cockpit. I'm using the StarLink to add this little missive. I'll add some photos in a bit.

Tonight (Wednesday night) we are all prepared for heavy wind. We repositioned and re-set the anchor with nearly all 320ft out. Winds in the 20-30s kts until mid morning tomorrow then a couple of days of 20 kt East winds... then maybe we will be able to head to Panama. We'll let you know.


Comments