Exploring the World by Sail from A to Z

Jeff and Zia's adventures aboard the catamaran Hekla

12 January 2015 | 62 31'S:59 47'W, Antarctic Peninsual
09 January 2015 | 65 54'S:62 52'W, Antarctic Peninsual
07 January 2015 | 65 15'S:64 16'W, Antarctic Peninsual
04 January 2015 | 64 19'S:62 55'W, Antarctic peninsula
31 December 2014 | 54 48'S:68 19'W, Ushuaia
27 December 2014 | It's 6am must be Miami...
26 December 2014 | Guatemala
09 June 2013 | 17 35'N:80 42'W, Caribbean sea
06 June 2013 | Jamaica
04 June 2013 | 18 28'N:77 57'W, Montego Bay
02 June 2013 | 19 20'N:78 49'W, on passage Cayman-Jamaica
23 May 2013 | 19 43'N:82 58'W, south of Cuba, NW of Cayman
19 May 2013 | 24 34'N:81 49'W, Key West, Florida
30 April 2013 | 23 25'N:85 38'W, Gulf of Mexico
27 April 2013 | 21 15'N:86 45'W, Isla Mujeras
19 April 2013 | 18 17'N:87 50'W, Xcalak
17 April 2013 | 15 34'N:89 12'W, Lago Izabal, Guatemala
10 April 2013 | Rio Dulce
10 April 2013 | 15 39'N:88 'W, Rio Dulce
01 April 2013 | 16 05'N:88 32'W, Southern Belize

Solo to Lighthouse Reef and the Blue Hole

14 January 2013 | 17 19'N:87 32'W, The Blue Hole
by Jeff
Now with friends gone and Zia in Colorado working on personal projects, I have the opportunity to become reacquainted with the challenges, thrills, and joy of singlehanding a big boat. Getting out of that damned marina in Belize City was really more challenge than I wanted, but a multihull sailor from Mississippi working nearby was very curious about Hekla and he helped me get out, handling lines, and all went well. Then we were off on a screaming reach south to Colson Cayes, with wind gusting to 28 (2 reefs!). These Cayes were mangroves with great shelter, great for getting a few things in order and plotting the next move, to the offshore atolls. Next day was another nice reach north to the deepwater approach to Belize City then out into the mostly unprotected ocean, wind still in the low 20's and sailing hard into it for 4 hours. Rich wanted to come out here, but trust me, the family wouldn't have liked the journey....7' seas....

Lighthouse reef is one of the few coral atolls in the northern hemisphere, formed by coral growing around the edges of steep limestone plateaus. They rise perpendicularly from great depths enclosing a central basin lagoon. Finding the way in and then navigating around the dangerous coral heads of the interior require extreme caution. I chose a clear weather day and timed the entrance for the sun to be high and behind me, the best for visual navigation. Coral heads were everywhere, but easy to see, unless a cloud cast a shadow, which would make underwater features disappear and me freeze in anxiety. I put down anchor in a nice sandy spot just seconds before being whacked by a 30 knot squall, which happily washed all the salt off of the boat! I spent 4 days at this first spot, snorkeling off the back of the boat, kayaking to the barrier reef, exploring the nearby Halfmoon Cay and its bird sanctuary, and catching up on boat maintenance, reading and writing.

Finally I was ready to move on to the Blue Hole. Readers should Google this to get fantastic aerial photos. The Blue Hole is a perfectly round lake rimmed by a ring of living coral. The coral ring is broken by two narrow passages. Getting here was tricky, only 6 miles but constantly on edge, dodging coral everywhere. Finally I eased into the hole itself, and watched the depth sounder soar from 4 meters to 100 in a few heartbeats. The Blue Hole is believed to be a collapsed cavern, once an above sea level limestone cave. It is an iconic dive, but for highly experienced divers only, not me! I picked up a mooring ball inside the hole, and climbed the mast to get some photos. Normally I do not go to such lengths for a photo shoot, but this one was fun, albeit tough. Alas, 70 feet above the water is just not enough to get the whole thing in one frame. The picture above shows Hekla lying close to the edge, the stern in very deep water and the bow near the reef. It is ac tually kind of a sketchy placement if the wind were to shift (which it has not for over 10 days). I have enjoyed the day here entirely alone, swimming and kayaking along the edge of the hole. I'm a little uneasy though, I like the security of my own anchor on the big sand flats much better.

Cheers, Jeff
Comments
Vessel Name: Hekla
Vessel Make/Model: Atlantic 57, Chris White Designs
Hailing Port: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Crew: Jeff Lebesch, Zia Zybko
About: Jeff has been sailing for 11 years, and has completed two singlehanded TransPac races on his former trimaran Hecla. Zia is enthusiastic about adventure-exploration by sail

S/V Hekla

Who: Jeff Lebesch, Zia Zybko
Port: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
hiccup
blah blah