XII Bar Blues - A trip round the bay

24 June 2019 | Cavalaire
09 August 2018 | Port Napoleon
15 July 2018 | Porto Petro
29 June 2018
23 June 2018
23 June 2018
23 June 2018 | Santa Ponsa
16 June 2018
19 June 2016 | Cabrera
19 June 2016 | Palma
07 June 2016 | Portocolom
07 June 2016 | Portocolom
02 June 2016 | Mahon
29 May 2016 | Fornells
24 June 2015 | Port Cros
17 June 2015 | Rade de la Badine
17 June 2015 | La Ciotat
27 July 2014 | Port Napoleon
06 July 2014 | Cala Santa Ponsa
24 June 2014 | Cala San Vicente

Contrasts

19 June 2016 | Palma
JMP
Cruising under sail provides contrasts, some quite stark. The pensioners made their way from Portocolom, via a delightful mooring in Porto Petro where they had a sandy Cala all to themselves for a while, to the Island of Cabrera which is the centrepiece of the marine national park off the south east coast of Mallorca.

The island boasts a large natural harbour in which the authorities have laid just fifty moorings (just as well, much of the harbour is very deep). This provides security for the visiting yottie and peaceful surroundings as the buoys are well spaced with around 100 metres between them in some cases. Apart from the "cantina", left over from the days when the Spanish military ran the place, there is no commerce ashore. A guide can be arranged for more serious walking but the designated paths provide enough variety for the casual stroller who can take in a modest but interesting museum and, if feeling energetic, an uphill walk to the fort that guards the harbour entrance.

Wildlife includes a lizard said to be unique to the island (well done Darwin) and nesting Ospreys. The pensioners spotted a falcon, perhaps a peregrine or perhaps Eleonora's falcon.

So thence to anchor off Palma Nova. Any prejudices the reader might have about this place are probably right. The anchorage itself is sound enough but the shoreline is covered in large hotels themselves surrounded by bars and restaurants doing a excellent job of parting vacationing football supporters from their cash. (There's some sort of footy tournament going on). All good stuff if you like that sort of thing but the pensioners stayed afloat prior to making a pilotage passage to berth in the marina belonging to the Real Club Nautico Palma.

The contrast between this rather swish establishment and the average south-coast-of-England yacht club is striking. Lots of marble, two swimming pools, three restaurants and a 950 berth marina. Makes most Yacht Clubs in Blighty look like a garden shed.
Comments
Vessel Name: XII Bar Blues
Vessel Make/Model: X-Yachts X-442
Hailing Port: Lymington, Hampshire, England
Social:
XII Bar Blues's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 26 June 2009