21 August 2019 | Sidney, Vancouver Island
06 August 2019 | Powell River
26 July 2019 | Campbell River
17 July 2019 | Port McNeil, Vancouver Island
05 July 2019 | Ketchikan
28 June 2019 | Petersburg, Alaska
17 June 2019 | Seward
04 June 2019 | Seward, Alaska
13 August 2018 | Kodiak town
16 July 2018 | Alaska
17 June 2018 | North Pacific
01 June 2018 | Hakodate, Hokkaido, Japan
06 May 2018 | Mihonoseki
22 April 2018 | Marin Pia Marina, Kunasaki
30 March 2018 | Marin Pia Marina, Musashi, Oita
25 February 2015 | Puerta Galera, Mindoro island
07 February 2015 | Pinoy Boatyard Port Carmen

Farewell New Zealand

17 April 2007 | Tasman Sea
Jo
Time has raced by, and our time in NZ has rapidly drawn to a close. It hasn't panned out at all as anticipated, as our projected 2-3 weeks work on the boat turned into 6 weeks of hard grind, with both of us working very hard, as well as the nightmare of waiting for others to do their bit. All of which made for some pretty frustrating times, particularly as our deadline for leaving for South Island came and went, as did the next one!

The net result is that we have finally got a very smart arch, complete with wind generator, solar panels, and various aerials, which all had to be re routed, and pulled through tortuous bends of steel. The entire push-pit came off too, and as is the way of these things one thing lead to another. We had to move our calorifier for making hot water, to access the back of our transom, and then discovered that it was looking pitted, and time for a new one, not quite so simple when you have a 110v. boat in a world of 240v. And then there were the scupper pipes which turned out to be in a dire state, and then the genoa furling winch which had to be moved, because the arch got in the way. Not to mention fitting a new l.e.d. tricolour light at the top of the mast, redesigning the bimini and so the list went on and on... .!

But thank goodness for Luke' wedding, which drove us into a frenzy of ' must go now', and finally we managed to take Brother Wind down to Auckland, where we left her, and flew onwards to South Island.

We flew into Queenstown, renowned as the adrenalin city of the world! but also in the heart of a beautiful area of mountains and lakes of breathtaking loveliness. Internal flights in NZ are so easy it's a joy, no hassle with anything, and you arrive unstressed and ready for the next thing. So we immediately tested our muscles with a climb up Queentown Hill, and then spruced ourselves up and went out to meet up with Ros and Larry Condon, our great friends and neighbours from Wood Norton, and Louise and Brandon, Larry's daughter and son-in-law. What a treat to see them, and catch up on so much!!

Brandon was going to get everyone to go jet-boating next day, but I decided that this might be the moment for me to try some para-gliding. I wasn't entirely convinced, and as Giles and I wanted to do a high walk on the Remarkables, I wasn't sure if there'd be time enough afterwards. However, climbing mountains always inspires the bird in me, so a phone call from the top of the mountain, and I was committed!

I was to jump off Coronet Peak, the highest jump in NZ with Rob, a Dutch guy in charge! Giles came as back up, but wasn't to be persuaded to have a go, and after one false start, (it's amazing what a backward pull there is from the foil), Rob and I were airborne! The views were magical over the wide valley that led down to Queenstown, surrounded by mountains on all sides. It would be hard to have chosen anywhere as lovely, with such perfect weather. It was a wonderful feeling turning and wheeling, rising on the thermals, and eventually 15 minutes later dropping inelegantly into a predetermined field, me landing on my very well padded bottom, as requested, as I was nervous of my troublesome hips and knee.

Next day was as beautiful as ever, but as the forecast was not so good for the rest of the week, we decided to drive north 50 kms to Wanaka, on a spectacular mountain road, then along the valley for 50 kms to go and walk the Rob Roy track. This is a lovely walk that rises up from a wide fertile river valley of grazing cattle and sheep, through beech woods, and up until you rise above the tree line, where you get fabulous views of the Rob Roy glacier.

We felt well exercised by the time we'd finished, and then headed back for our luxury night at Millbrooke, Arrowtown. Larry had very generously suggested that we should stay there, as he and Ros were returning to Auckland that day, and Brandon and Louise were going to meet friends so wouldn't notice us! It certainly made the backpacker places we'd been staying in look pretty basic, this was life and luxury unheard of by the Winter duo, and appreciated all the more for that. The enormous bath tub was a particular luxury, and as for the fantastic self service breakfast with every conceivable thing on offer - I can vouch to the fact that Giles really did try it all!

After a lazy start, and farewells to Loulou and Brandon, we drove north again, deciding en route that we would change our plans and head for the west coast and the famous glaciers there. The road from Waneka along Lake Hawea, must be one of the most stunning anywhere, helped by seeing it all in perfect weather. As we went over the pass and into the influence of the west coast, we met cloud and rain. Our first sight of the Tasman Sea looked grey and uninviting - well we'll think about that one later!

We had hoped to climb glaciers, but torrential rain in the night made it pretty unappealing, so we walked to the foot of both the Frans Josef glacier and the Fox Glacier, and wondered if the mints were named after it, it was named by Prime Minister Fox after himself in 1872!

After the glaciers it was a night in Arthur's Pass, with stunning mountain views, and a wonderful walk up the Bealy Spur the next day, where you see a wonderful vista of mountains all around. Many of these are skiing area, and some had snow. Then on to Christchurch, arriving in time to find somewhere to stay, do some sightseeing, and to collect Flora from the airport, which was terrific.

Next day we parted company again, we flew back to Auckland, and Flora on to explore South Island.

Back in Auckland, we quickly got in touch with Larry and Ros, and were able to sail Larry and three young, Richard, Jamie and Renal over to Waiheke island, some feeling rather the worse for wear it should be said, as Luke's stag night had been the night before!

It was a lovely three hour sail, and we opted for anchoring in Onaroa Bay, where we thought we would get maximum protection from the south westerly, as well as it being very convenient for the wedding, particularly as it was the chosen venue for a large meal ashore that evening.

Next day, we had been invited to stay ashore, which made life much easier, changing into our only smart clothes and going ashore by dinghy to land on a sandy beach, would have been fraught, let alone getting back there later!!

Luke and Clare's wedding was a fairytale event, set in the wonderful Mudbrick Vineyard, where the terrace is bathed in westerly evening light, and views extend right over to the centre of Auckland, some ten miles away. Meanwhile the lavender and white roses flowered around us, and the weather which only a week before had set rainfall records, was just perfection. Clare looked stunningly gorgeous, and Luke like the happiest man ever! So all in all it was a wonderful enchanted and happy occasion.

We managed to find time while we were on Waiheke to meet up with Tim and Ginny LeCouteur, fellow RCC members, who sailed to NZ 30 years ago and stayed! They have subsequently done another circumnavigation! Other people's stories are always fascinating.

Time to go, and Brandon still hadn't earned his mention, as he had failed the challenge to swim out to the boat, but this was redeemed when Giles sailed Larry, Richard and Jamie over to the mainland for a bar-b-q at Clare's parents, and Brandon did finally swim out to bid us farewell!

After all the fun and partying, we set sail for Opua, stopping in Army Bay, and a night in the Hen and Chicken Islands, where we had a beautiful bay to ourselves for Easter! The clear water persuaded even Giles to go for a dip on Easter morning!

So back to Opua, which does feel like home by now, and a final assault on finishing off various bits and pieces. A bottom cleaning on the Sea-Lift, a very clever arrangement that turns into a dry dock by pumping air into the float, and almost good to go by the time Flora caught up with us last Thursday.

Of course one never is quite ready, and we were being teased by various people about still buying bits and pieces to fit at the 11th hour. But escaping from NZ is a mixture of pressure to have the boat ready, and the right weather window. Wisdom dictates that you wait for the back of a low, Thursday saw 40 knots plus, so we grabbed the moment, and left on Sunday 15th, feeling very sad at all our farewells, and leaving this lovely country behind us.

Now here we are two days later, motoring in a calm Tasman Sea, hoping that there are no hidden gales awaiting us, and wondering if we can fit in a visit to Lord Howe Island 500 miles away, and still get Flora the 400 miles on to Sydney on time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Brother Wind
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 45
Hailing Port: Blakeney, Norfolk UK
Crew: Jo and Giles Winter
About: Rolling selection of friends and family
Extra: Check my Instagram for pictures jogi_winter
Brother Wind's Photos - Jo and Giles round the world on Brother Wind (Main)
Photos 1 to 4 of 4
1
IMG_0754: Brother Wind in Sydney Harbour
 
1
From Taisha we moved northwards to Hakodate in Hokkaido, where we left the sea of Japan behind
17 Photos
Created 1 June 2018
12 Photos
Created 1 June 2018
Land travels in Japan
18 Photos
Created 22 April 2018
Sailing again
31 Photos
Created 25 February 2015
10 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 March 2014
A trip up the Kinabatangan River in Brother Wind, with brother Jamie, wife Mel, and daughter Izzy
40 Photos
Created 23 August 2012
Jamie,Mel and Issy Cooper joined us in K-K, Sabah, for a dramatic trip north and then stunning islands followed by a trip up the Kinabatangan river
27 Photos
Created 12 August 2012
40 Photos
Created 22 July 2012
28 Photos
Created 21 June 2012
our trip back to Langkawi from the Andamans, with Mike and Laurian Cooper on board
15 Photos
Created 28 March 2011
7 Photos
Created 28 March 2011
10 Photos
Created 7 April 2009
12 Photos
Created 2 March 2009
16 Photos
Created 28 February 2008
10 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
16 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
Passage Brisbane north to Whitsundays
23 Photos
Created 8 June 2007
23 Photos
Created 24 May 2007
16 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 2 May 2007
18 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 2 May 2007
23 Photos
Created 10 March 2007
16 Photos
Created 10 March 2007
20 Photos
Created 10 March 2007
40 Photos
Created 10 March 2007
40 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
30 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
37 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
35 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
19 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
4 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
107 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
129 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
20 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 March 2007
60 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
40 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
15 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
10 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
34 Photos
Created 1 December 2006