21 August 2019 | Sidney, Vancouver Island
06 August 2019 | Powell River
26 July 2019 | Campbell River
17 July 2019 | Port McNeil, Vancouver Island
05 July 2019 | Ketchikan
28 June 2019 | Petersburg, Alaska
17 June 2019 | Seward
04 June 2019 | Seward, Alaska
13 August 2018 | Kodiak town
16 July 2018 | Alaska
17 June 2018 | North Pacific
01 June 2018 | Hakodate, Hokkaido, Japan
06 May 2018 | Mihonoseki
22 April 2018 | Marin Pia Marina, Kunasaki
30 March 2018 | Marin Pia Marina, Musashi, Oita
25 February 2015 | Puerta Galera, Mindoro island
07 February 2015 | Pinoy Boatyard Port Carmen

Margarita to Bonaire

02 February 2006 | Bonaire
Here we are in Bonaire, in the Netherland Antilles, having scampered too fast through some of the Venezuelan Islands. But what we have seen� has whetted our appetite to return another time.

We first went to the island of Margarita, which we had been warned we wouldn't like, but it is tax free, so the prospect of buying decent whisky for �2 a bottle was not to be passed up. Our locker space as you can imagine is now filled even more to bursting, and those concerned that we run a dry ship can allay their fears!

Quite apart from the shopping, I had also been told by some RCC members, who we met up with in Bequia, some convoluted story about mangrove swamps and buying pearls! It sounded fun, so on referring to Doyle, our pilot book bible for these waters, I reckoned I knew where she meant.

This meant a trip 20 miles west, where there was a so called marina, actually a tiny fishing harbour with boats moored by long lines which stretched the entire width of the place, and a good boatyard, with a travel lift. Giles desperately needed to send a fax, and they were charming and obliging about this, as well as telling us that we should not leave the boat anywhere other than in the harbour if we were planning a trip into the mangroves. Not the easiest thing to fulfil, as they were launching boats in the afternoon, and we had to hope for the best and anchor amongst a plethora of lines!
Out of this secure� area, we found a tiny village with dirt street, and huge Venezuelans playing a game of� hitting crown beer bottle caps with a long pole across the street.
In the tiny shop we did our best to explain that we wanted to go on a boat trip through the mangroves, and with much gesticulating, and wishing that we'd listened better to the Spanish tapes (thanks Julia), we understood that his brother would appear and take us there, which he duly did!

Off we went in a brightly painted boat into the river that went through the swamps. It was a beautiful experience, going through very narrow channels, which were fascinating, but did not contain as much wildlife as one might have hoped for. The inevitable pelicans, and� herons and egrets, but not a lot more, although we were treated to the spectacle of a cormorant trying to eat the most enormous flying fish, with wings akimbo out of its beak!

Well. we meandered through some truly beautiful mangroves, through tunnels reaching over us, and their weird roots stretching out in a surreal way around us, until we reached an opening to this wide huge beach on the north of the island, La Restinga. There is one caf� there, and a few stalls, which, on my quest for pearls I went to see, and there, sure enough we found pearls of every hue. We bought enough for our girls, and some for me, but as ever, one wishes that we'd bought more. Another place that needs revisiting!

This place is only reachable by boat, and� has a few Venezuelan tourists, but no more.

On we went, another� 55 miles to the beautiful and uninhabited island of Tortuga. The great excitement of the journey was that finally we caught a fish!
So far Emily had nominated herself as fisherman, and at every opportunity she had a line out, but had caught only one Bonito, (2 got away)! �But the fish that we caught was the real thing, a big tuna, no fisherman's yarns here, 31" long, and weighing we reckoned about 16lbs. Mike proved himself a great gaffer, and hooked it through jaw, and I squirted its gills with rum, this is meant to kill them!
After lots of blood, lots of speculation and everything else, we had it on board, and duly cleaned and filleted it. Great excitement, and a restored confidence in our ability to catch our grub!

In Tortuga, we anchored in a beautiful bay with one other yacht, and a fishing boat. When we rowed ashore I leapt out of the dinghy, and have never experienced the soft velvety sand, so fine that it felt like clay, but without any of those cloying qualities. We walked and swam, got prickles in our feet, and walked across to meet� some young Venezuelans in an aeroplane, who had flown from Caracas, landed on the scrub, and were camping for the weekend,
What a wonderful lifestyle, we thought about Henry Lab, needless to say, but worried that they had to take off in 25 knots min of cross wind.

We went on to the other end of� Tortuga the next day to the wonderful Horseshoe Bay, more white sand, and beautiful beaches on either side of the tiny island. Then on for 100 miles through the night to Los Roques, an archipelago of coral reefs and tiny uninhabited islands.

We went into one of the recommended entrances, and found ourselves surrounded by reefs, spending ages trying to work out where we were, and running aground rather alarmingly in the process. Eventually we motored up between reefs, and came to a wide opening, where we selected an island, where there were yet more adrenalin rushes as we crept through breaking surf to a tranquil anchorage, more white sand and deserted beach.
We would love to have longer to explore these islands, but on we went for another overnight� passage to Bonaire.

Next stop 700 miles approx is the archipelago of San Blas, which is Panama, and we are greatly looking forward to it.

Back to the Spanish CDs!
Comments
Vessel Name: Brother Wind
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 45
Hailing Port: Blakeney, Norfolk UK
Crew: Jo and Giles Winter
About: Rolling selection of friends and family
Extra: Check my Instagram for pictures jogi_winter
Brother Wind's Photos - Jo and Giles round the world on Brother Wind (Main)
Photos 1 to 4 of 4
1
IMG_0754: Brother Wind in Sydney Harbour
 
1
From Taisha we moved northwards to Hakodate in Hokkaido, where we left the sea of Japan behind
17 Photos
Created 1 June 2018
12 Photos
Created 1 June 2018
Land travels in Japan
18 Photos
Created 22 April 2018
Sailing again
31 Photos
Created 25 February 2015
10 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 March 2014
A trip up the Kinabatangan River in Brother Wind, with brother Jamie, wife Mel, and daughter Izzy
40 Photos
Created 23 August 2012
Jamie,Mel and Issy Cooper joined us in K-K, Sabah, for a dramatic trip north and then stunning islands followed by a trip up the Kinabatangan river
27 Photos
Created 12 August 2012
40 Photos
Created 22 July 2012
28 Photos
Created 21 June 2012
our trip back to Langkawi from the Andamans, with Mike and Laurian Cooper on board
15 Photos
Created 28 March 2011
7 Photos
Created 28 March 2011
10 Photos
Created 7 April 2009
12 Photos
Created 2 March 2009
16 Photos
Created 28 February 2008
10 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
16 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
Passage Brisbane north to Whitsundays
23 Photos
Created 8 June 2007
23 Photos
Created 24 May 2007
16 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 2 May 2007
18 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 2 May 2007
23 Photos
Created 10 March 2007
16 Photos
Created 10 March 2007
20 Photos
Created 10 March 2007
40 Photos
Created 10 March 2007
40 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
30 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
37 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
35 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
19 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
4 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
107 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
129 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
20 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 March 2007
60 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
40 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
6 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
15 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
10 Photos
Created 9 March 2007
34 Photos
Created 1 December 2006