Jobiska's Journey

Onwards and Southwards to Aveiro and Sao Jacinto

09 September 2019
Lorraine and Chris Marchant
There were strong winds as we left Porto at 09:00 and we were creaming along at 6-7 knots anticipating a great day's sail. It was cold, we wrapped ourselves in our warm stuff and our foul weather gear. In much of Galicia we sailed in shorts and T-shirts. It seems odd that as we travel further south it feels colder on the water then going ashore it soon feels hot.

Well our great start fizzled out as the wind dropped, it didn't get much warmer as we plodded on with some sailing and some motoring. Really cold today.

The coast line here is flat with mile after mile after mile of white sand beaches. There is a bit of a bar at the Aveiro harbour mouth which can get rough but we had lots of water and at 15:00 arrived in Canal da Embocadura, the gateway into the waterways and lagoons beyond.

Such an interesting arrival. The first wide span of water was full of small fishing boats darting about, it was really busy. We passed a nice sheltered beach and the grand light house which instead of being painted red and white is constructed of cream and red granite blocks. The whole place used to be river and marshland but has been drained and canalised providing full commercial port and recreational facilities. We motored on and found the lagoon at Sao Jacinto where we would have a very sheltered anchorage for the night in the company of a Finnish and a Danish yacht.

We wanted to see Aveiro, described as the Venice of Portugal, so next morning we had a very interesting foray up the river to the Avela yacht club moorings where we were able to leave Jobiska for several hours and walk into town. There was work going on in boat and small ship yards all along this river and there were two interesting vessels on our way. The first was a four masted job which could have been a sail training ship at some point in its career but it was in a very sad and sorry state. We had read that there is a company here that specialises in building replicas of old vessels such as the Pinta so this poor old thing could have been in for renovation.

The next vessel we saw was a large upturned foiling trimaran called Ultim Emotion which apparently had capsized off Porto a week earlier. All 5 crew had been rescued unharmed, it was a mess and in for repair. Looking it up on the internet it seems these particular boats are prone to 'falling over', however, it could be chartered for 34,000 euros a week (hopefully including insurance). Thanks but no thanks!

We found a place on the yacht club's extensive pontoon. A Polish yacht was already there and the crew helped us to moor up. They had an extraordinary anchor the like of which we have never seen before, we think it may be somebody's private masterpiece. Photo in gallery.

Walking into town we passed sea salt lagoons, drying and processing pans which had good information boards and made an interesting visit. The town is renowned for its sea salt some of which we duly bought.

Aveiro is a Portuguese holiday destination and justifiably so. Some of the colourful traditional old fishing boats, two of which we saw in the lagoon where we anchored, have been converted into gondolas which carry happy Portuguese tourists through the waterways. The town is lovely with its art nouveau verging on roccocco architecture and its black and white pavement art.

It is so lively, as we had our lunch we really enjoyed an excellent traditional street band with jugglers and dancers with castanets who were very good at involving the people around, it was great fun.

Anchoring back in the lagoon at Sao Jacinto we had another peaceful night and left next morning. We really enjoyed everything here, it's a great place.

See our gallery photos.
Comments
Vessel Name: Jobiska
Vessel Make/Model: Moody38cc
Hailing Port: Lowestoft
Crew: Chris and Lorraine
About: We have sailed together ever since we first met, completing an Atlantic circuit in 1982 in an Albin Vega and going on to own another 6 boats which we cruised with our children . More recently we circumnavigated over 6 years on our Beneteau 423, Gryphon 2, arriving back in the UK in 2015.
Jobiska's Photos - Main
The end of our Atlantic circuit and return to our East of England home port of Lowestoft
5 Photos
Created 16 July 2020
5 Photos
Created 11 July 2020
4 Photos
Created 26 June 2020
10 Photos
Created 24 June 2020
9 Photos
Created 24 June 2020
Passage from Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands to Horta, Faial Island, Azores
16 Photos
Created 21 June 2020
Filling in the blanks on Providenciales
13 Photos
Created 14 May 2020
After spending 2 nights at Grand Turk we realised the anchorage would not be a good place to stay and decided that South Side Marina on Providencia, the most populated of the Turks and Caicos, would be a safer bet. This was a really good decision.
6 Photos
Created 9 May 2020
Chris and I were becoming increasingly conscious of the fact that Indian Town in Florida was over a thousand miles away and we needed to be there by mid April. Indian Town lies 40 miles inland on a canal that cuts across the Florida peninsula to the Gulf of Mexico. This was where we would leave Jobiska to fly home until our return in November after the hurricane season. We needed to push on if we were to achieve that as we had already booked with the boat yard where she would be taken out of the water, held down with land screw anchors and stripped of canvas ready for potential hurricane winds which hopefully would not reach that far inland. Very hopefully indeed.
22 Photos
Created 24 February 2020
Our tour of the French islands was drawing to a close finishing a Sens Riviere. Jill, my cousin and husband Charles would soon be returning to New Zealand and we would be setting off to start our journey to Florida.
19 Photos
Created 15 February 2020
17 Photos
Created 10 February 2020
Events during our visit to St Pierre. Photographs include those taken by Charles and also Jill whose camera can include text for each photograph.
25 Photos
Created 9 February 2020
A visit to Jardin du Balata
21 Photos
Created 7 February 2020
A short album for a short stay.
2 Photos
Created 5 February 2020
A journey through the anchorages and bays of Martinique's reef bound windward coast.
23 Photos
Created 3 February 2020
The start of our very enjoyable two and a half weeks in Martinique
15 Photos
Created 29 January 2020
Passage from Rodney Bay St Lucia, passing HMS Diamond Rock on our way to a new anchorage at St Anne's, Martinique
6 Photos
Created 24 January 2020
Cousin Jill and husband Charles join us for a month to sail from St Lucia to Martinique, Dominica and Guadeloupe.
11 Photos
Created 23 January 2020
14 Photos
Created 15 January 2020
17 Photos
Created 3 January 2020
13 Photos
Created 30 December 2019
9 Photos
Created 26 December 2019
Sailing with Harriet and Peter in Grenada
7 Photos
Created 18 December 2019
7 Photos
Created 5 December 2019
5 Photos
Created 25 November 2019
9 Photos
Created 15 November 2019
5 Photos
Created 15 November 2019
3 Photos
Created 4 November 2019
Las Galletas to San Miguel with Teide looking on.
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2019
5 Photos
Created 1 November 2019
9 Photos
Created 14 October 2019
We arrived at the Ensenada de Zapata 0’ De Antequera in the North East corner of Tenerife just before proper day light but found a good place to drop the hook.
1 Photo
Created 13 October 2019
These two little island groups were the last to emerge in the chain of the Madeira archipelago. This started with the volcanic eruption that created Porto Santo followed by a gradual series of eruptions over hundreds of thousands of years caused by hot-spots situated on the African Tectonic Plate. This happened during the Tertiary period with the settling of the land masses at the start of the Pliocene over 5+ million years ago. There are three other volcanic archipelagos that were also created on this Tectonic plate: the Azores, the Canary Islands and the Cape Verde Islands which together with the Madeira archipelago form Macaronesia.
8 Photos
Created 10 October 2019
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2019
11 Photos
Created 6 October 2019
8 Photos
Created 22 September 2019
12 Photos
Created 19 September 2019
5 Photos
Created 14 September 2019
11 Photos
Created 13 September 2019
2 Photos
Created 12 September 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 September 2019
2 Photos
Created 10 September 2019
Charming village in Ria de Pontevedra
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2019
6 Photos
Created 2 September 2019
3 Photos
Created 23 August 2019
3 Photos
Created 19 August 2019
Places visited en route to A Coruna
7 Photos
Created 17 August 2019
Views from Ria Ribadeo
6 Photos
Created 6 August 2019
Chris enjoyed looking for the green flash but it never came.
1 Photo
Created 4 August 2019
Photographs of Benodet and the Odet river.
2 Photos
Created 4 August 2019
Views of the pretty main island in the Iles de Sein group.
5 Photos
Created 28 July 2019
Pictures from the extreme west of Finisterre
7 Photos
Created 26 July 2019
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2019
This album contains some picturs of our family reunion that took place in Treguier and the gardens of Kerdalo
7 Photos
Created 17 July 2019
4 Photos
Created 1 July 2019