Jobiska's Journey

Gomera Our Favourite Canary Island

06 November 2019
Lorraine and Chris Marchant
The current Iglesia de la Virgen de la Ascuncion, the town centre church of San Sebastian which has been rebuilt and renovated a few times.

It was in Gomera at the start of our first Atlantic crossing that we felt we were following in the steps of Chrisopher Columbus albeit with a different Christopher on board our little 27 foot Albin Vega, the first Jobiska. We have been with the children since then by ferry, back in the days when the shepherds still communicated by whistling from hillside to hillside. It is a special place for us since it was from San Sebastian, the capital of Gomera, that we set off in 1981 to the Cape Verde Islands and Barbados,

History has it that Columbus came here to fill the water casks of his small ships, take on some provisions and to have his voyage to the Americas blessed in the town's church, Iglesia de la Virgen de la Ascuncion, where he and his crew prayed together before they set off. Always open for everyone we went inside and although we didn't pray or ask for blessings it felt calm and peaceful being there.

Whilst I was busy with previous blogs Chris walked up to the Parador which looks out over the town. This is a very beautiful historic building that has been converted into a luxury hotel and is managed as are other Spanish Paradors by a state run company that was established in the early 20th century to encourage tourism in Spain. Going there was a bit of a trip down memory lane as it was here in 1981 that we met a lovely man called Earnest from Martinique who spoke with enthusiasm about the French Caribbean islands but also gave us both a mango, the first either of us had ever tasted. He described it as, 'cream in the neck', as indeed it was and it is a phrase we always use if we have a particularly delicious mango to eat. The Parador was as beautiful as ever with its silk sheen marble floors and airy balconies giving wonderful views of the town and its surrounds.

The town square is lovely with its ring of very mature trees, smooth stone pavings and old fashioned black lamp standards that give an old world feel to the surrounding cafes and restaurants. Then himself, Christopher Columbus, one of the fathers of navigation sculpted in stone.

Further on is the semi tropical park with the Torre del Conde - Count's Tower, the remains of a 15th Century fort built to aid in the defence of the island against various invaders and an important example of military architecture in the Canaries.

Like Christopher C we took on water, filled our boat with fresh stores which took some time sourcing and enjoyed the local cuisine whilst we could. It would be nice to come back here some day but there are so many places we say that about. Perhaps we will but not in the same way.





Comments
Vessel Name: Jobiska
Vessel Make/Model: Moody38cc
Hailing Port: Lowestoft
Crew: Chris and Lorraine
About: We have sailed together ever since we first met, completing an Atlantic circuit in 1982 in an Albin Vega and going on to own another 6 boats which we cruised with our children . More recently we circumnavigated over 6 years on our Beneteau 423, Gryphon 2, arriving back in the UK in 2015.
Jobiska's Photos - Main
The end of our Atlantic circuit and return to our East of England home port of Lowestoft
5 Photos
Created 16 July 2020
5 Photos
Created 11 July 2020
4 Photos
Created 26 June 2020
10 Photos
Created 24 June 2020
9 Photos
Created 24 June 2020
Passage from Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands to Horta, Faial Island, Azores
16 Photos
Created 21 June 2020
Filling in the blanks on Providenciales
13 Photos
Created 14 May 2020
After spending 2 nights at Grand Turk we realised the anchorage would not be a good place to stay and decided that South Side Marina on Providencia, the most populated of the Turks and Caicos, would be a safer bet. This was a really good decision.
6 Photos
Created 9 May 2020
Chris and I were becoming increasingly conscious of the fact that Indian Town in Florida was over a thousand miles away and we needed to be there by mid April. Indian Town lies 40 miles inland on a canal that cuts across the Florida peninsula to the Gulf of Mexico. This was where we would leave Jobiska to fly home until our return in November after the hurricane season. We needed to push on if we were to achieve that as we had already booked with the boat yard where she would be taken out of the water, held down with land screw anchors and stripped of canvas ready for potential hurricane winds which hopefully would not reach that far inland. Very hopefully indeed.
22 Photos
Created 24 February 2020
Our tour of the French islands was drawing to a close finishing a Sens Riviere. Jill, my cousin and husband Charles would soon be returning to New Zealand and we would be setting off to start our journey to Florida.
19 Photos
Created 15 February 2020
17 Photos
Created 10 February 2020
Events during our visit to St Pierre. Photographs include those taken by Charles and also Jill whose camera can include text for each photograph.
25 Photos
Created 9 February 2020
A visit to Jardin du Balata
21 Photos
Created 7 February 2020
A short album for a short stay.
2 Photos
Created 5 February 2020
A journey through the anchorages and bays of Martinique's reef bound windward coast.
23 Photos
Created 3 February 2020
The start of our very enjoyable two and a half weeks in Martinique
15 Photos
Created 29 January 2020
Passage from Rodney Bay St Lucia, passing HMS Diamond Rock on our way to a new anchorage at St Anne's, Martinique
6 Photos
Created 24 January 2020
Cousin Jill and husband Charles join us for a month to sail from St Lucia to Martinique, Dominica and Guadeloupe.
11 Photos
Created 23 January 2020
14 Photos
Created 15 January 2020
17 Photos
Created 3 January 2020
13 Photos
Created 30 December 2019
9 Photos
Created 26 December 2019
Sailing with Harriet and Peter in Grenada
7 Photos
Created 18 December 2019
7 Photos
Created 5 December 2019
5 Photos
Created 25 November 2019
9 Photos
Created 15 November 2019
5 Photos
Created 15 November 2019
3 Photos
Created 4 November 2019
Las Galletas to San Miguel with Teide looking on.
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2019
5 Photos
Created 1 November 2019
9 Photos
Created 14 October 2019
We arrived at the Ensenada de Zapata 0’ De Antequera in the North East corner of Tenerife just before proper day light but found a good place to drop the hook.
1 Photo
Created 13 October 2019
These two little island groups were the last to emerge in the chain of the Madeira archipelago. This started with the volcanic eruption that created Porto Santo followed by a gradual series of eruptions over hundreds of thousands of years caused by hot-spots situated on the African Tectonic Plate. This happened during the Tertiary period with the settling of the land masses at the start of the Pliocene over 5+ million years ago. There are three other volcanic archipelagos that were also created on this Tectonic plate: the Azores, the Canary Islands and the Cape Verde Islands which together with the Madeira archipelago form Macaronesia.
8 Photos
Created 10 October 2019
13 Photos
Created 6 October 2019
11 Photos
Created 6 October 2019
8 Photos
Created 22 September 2019
12 Photos
Created 19 September 2019
5 Photos
Created 14 September 2019
11 Photos
Created 13 September 2019
2 Photos
Created 12 September 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 September 2019
2 Photos
Created 10 September 2019
Charming village in Ria de Pontevedra
10 Photos
Created 8 September 2019
6 Photos
Created 2 September 2019
3 Photos
Created 23 August 2019
3 Photos
Created 19 August 2019
Places visited en route to A Coruna
7 Photos
Created 17 August 2019
Views from Ria Ribadeo
6 Photos
Created 6 August 2019
Chris enjoyed looking for the green flash but it never came.
1 Photo
Created 4 August 2019
Photographs of Benodet and the Odet river.
2 Photos
Created 4 August 2019
Views of the pretty main island in the Iles de Sein group.
5 Photos
Created 28 July 2019
Pictures from the extreme west of Finisterre
7 Photos
Created 26 July 2019
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2019
This album contains some picturs of our family reunion that took place in Treguier and the gardens of Kerdalo
7 Photos
Created 17 July 2019
4 Photos
Created 1 July 2019