Our Journey

27 December 2010
02 December 2010
26 November 2010
25 November 2010
19 November 2010
16 November 2010
15 November 2010
14 November 2010
14 November 2010
10 November 2010
08 November 2010
08 November 2010
04 November 2010
03 November 2010
02 November 2010
01 November 2010
31 October 2010
29 October 2010
29 October 2010
28 October 2010

Arrived at Cabo San Lucas

04 November 2010
I woke up at 4 o'clock when the guys changed watches and couldn't go back to sleep so I finally got up at 5:30. I made coffee for Greg and I (not spilling a drop this time) and we sat out in the cockpit and watched the sun come up and talked about our journey. These little times with just the two of us are very important to our relationship.

We had completely lost our wind last night so we motored most of the night. The wind picked up enough this morning to turn it off and sail for awhile but then we lost it again. As we were motoring along mid morning, a school (pod?) of porpoise came towards us. I quickly made my way to the bow of the boat and for the first time was able to watch three of them swim in front of our bow. I talked to them telling them how stunning they were and one turned on his side so he could look at me. I'm sure he smiled too. What magnificent creatures they are.

Not only have we noticed how much warmer it is today, we also have observed the color of the water is changing from deep blue to a turquoise blue. It is quite pretty. In the early afternoon it got so calm there were no ripples at all on the water. Then about 2 o'clock Greg called down to me to wake Ronnie. All of a sudden we were in like 20-30 knot winds being tossed all around. These winds are from the east which is very unusual. As they worked with the sails I tried to close all the port holes and pick up and stow away things that had been knocked all around down below. I managed to save the brownies I had baked for them this morning too.

What a battle to reach Cabo. With the wind on our nose we had to fight for each mile of progress. We finally reached the marina at 8:30 pm. It took a little while to find the slip assigned to us. It is a 70' slip which we are sharing with another Ha-Ha boat. Very nice people out of San Francisco. Since the marina office is closed they offered us the use of one of their key cards for access to the showers, etc. and also gave us their wifi code so we could go online.

First order of business was to go get something to eat. At the top of the ramp is a cobblestone walkway which runs all the way around the marina and is filled with restaurants, bars and shops. After eating an okay meal we headed for the showers. The bathrooms aren't too bad, but the toilets flush in an odd way and one of them was plugged. Back at the boat, we sat in the cockpit for a little while looking at all the activity and bright lights and listening to the very loud annoying music coming from a cantina across the marina from us. We learn through the night that the music doesn't stop until around 4 am. Greg and I slept through all the noise but Ronnie had a hard time.
Vessel Name: Otter
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32
Hailing Port: Scappoose, Oregon
Crew: Greg and Joyce Parfitt

Who: Greg and Joyce Parfitt
Port: Scappoose, Oregon