Circumnavigating Vancouver Island 2024

Back in 2003, we circumnavigated Vancouver Island, capturing wonderful memories. Now in 2024 we hope to re-visit this large island, and create some new memories!

21 August 2022 | Portland, Oregon
19 August 2022 | Tongue Point, Astoria, Oregon
14 August 2022 | Friday Harbor, WA
10 August 2022 | Todd Inlet, BC, Canada
08 August 2022 | Lesqueti Island, BC, Canada
04 August 2022 | Heriot Bay, BC, Canada
03 August 2022 | Octopus Islands, BC, Canada
03 August 2022 | Octopus Islands, BC, Canada
31 July 2022 | Lagoon Cove, BC, Canada
30 July 2022 | Echo Bay, BC, Canada
28 July 2022 | Port McNeill, BC, Canada
22 July 2022 | Oliver Cove, BC, Canada
22 July 2022 | Windy Bay, BC, Canada
19 July 2022 | Hartley Bay, BC, Canada
18 July 2022 | Kumealon Inlet, BC, Canada
17 July 2022 | Prince Rupert, BC, Canada
16 July 2022 | Foggy Bay, Alaska
15 July 2022 | Meyer's Chuck, Alaska
14 July 2022 | Dora Bay, Alaska
13 July 2022 | Ketchikan, Alaska

Experiencing New York City

01 August 2018 | Manhattan Island, NYC,NY
George Stonecliffe
On our first day here, we took the Metro (Subway) downtown to the World Trade Center Memorial. Thousands of tourists and service workers experienced the Memorial grounds which includes two separate and large squares representing the bases of the twin towers. The perimeter of the squares includes a tilted continuous metal table with the names of all who lost their lives in the collapse of the towers, including the business people, the firemen, policemen, EMTs, and other service personnel. Inside the squares was a continuous waterfall all the way around the perimeter. Then in the middle of each of the two squares was a large square hole that the water from the perimeter waterfall fell into. The effect was 'white noise' to hush the talking of those taking in the Memorial. In addition the waterfall captured the sense of falling from the towers. This Memorial overpowered us with the significance of 9/11. Our lives were changed forever by 9/11. Our travel, airports, crossing borders, sporting events, in fact any large gathering of people has security to protect us from terrorism. Life has never been the same. In fact afterward we took the Metro to Time Square. Police were everywhere in the crowds of tourists and New Yorkers keeping us safe. Later in the afternoon we went to iMax to see Tom Cruise in 'Mission Impossible: Fall Out'. Great movie! The next day we enjoyed the American Museum of Natural History with its dinosaur displays, its human culture and animal displays, and its ocean exhibits. We were reminded of the movie: Night at the Museum, which took in many of these exhibits. Afterward we headed to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and took in exhibits that included Impressionist Art (Renoir, Monet, Gauguin), and European Art (Reuben, Rembrandt, etc.). Both museums were in Central Park, giving us time to walk through parts of the Park called the 'Ramble'.
Comments
Vessel Name: Julia Max
Vessel Make/Model: 45' Passport/Peterson Custom Ketch
Hailing Port: Portland, Oregon, USA
Crew: George and Sue Stonecliffe
About: The summer of 2024 will be spent heading north from Portland, OR to British Columbia, Canada; circumnavigating Vancouver Island, visiting Princess Louisa Inlet, and hopefully staying smoke free!
Julia Max's Photos - Main
Cruising through BC , Alaska, and home
18 Photos
Created 16 June 2022
2 Photos
Created 4 July 2017
8 Photos
Created 5 May 2011