Brimsstone Hill Fortress
25 January 2019 | St. Kitts
One of the highlights of St. Kitts is the world heritage site, Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park. This multi-storied structure overlooked the first capital of St. Kitts, Sandy Point. Innumerable 24-pounder guns overlooked approaches from the sea as well as land, In 1782 there was a great struggle among the European colonial powers and the American republic for control of the rich Caribbean sugar islands and the North American mainland. The British were particularly concerned over -- wait for it -- the French. And yes 8000 French attacked the Fortress of 1000 British defenders, and within a month had taken the impressive site. But, as luck would have it, the Treaty of Versailles returned the island to the British, and fortifications continued until 1794. In 1852 British troops were reassigned, and the fort was abandoned. In 1973 Prince Charles reopened the first complete restoration of the site. In 1983 St, Kitts and Nevis became an independent country. In 1985 Queen Elizabeth !! unveiled a plaque signifying Brimstone Hill Fortress as a National Park And in 1999 UNESCO identified the National Park as a World Heritage Site. Impressive to behold!