Circumnavigating Vancouver Island 2024

Back in 2003, we circumnavigated Vancouver Island, capturing wonderful memories. Now in 2024 we hope to re-visit this large island, and create some new memories!

21 August 2022 | Portland, Oregon
19 August 2022 | Tongue Point, Astoria, Oregon
14 August 2022 | Friday Harbor, WA
10 August 2022 | Todd Inlet, BC, Canada
08 August 2022 | Lesqueti Island, BC, Canada
04 August 2022 | Heriot Bay, BC, Canada
03 August 2022 | Octopus Islands, BC, Canada
03 August 2022 | Octopus Islands, BC, Canada
31 July 2022 | Lagoon Cove, BC, Canada
30 July 2022 | Echo Bay, BC, Canada
28 July 2022 | Port McNeill, BC, Canada
22 July 2022 | Oliver Cove, BC, Canada
22 July 2022 | Windy Bay, BC, Canada
19 July 2022 | Hartley Bay, BC, Canada
18 July 2022 | Kumealon Inlet, BC, Canada
17 July 2022 | Prince Rupert, BC, Canada
16 July 2022 | Foggy Bay, Alaska
15 July 2022 | Meyer's Chuck, Alaska
14 July 2022 | Dora Bay, Alaska
13 July 2022 | Ketchikan, Alaska

Manihi at Last

10 May 2009 | 30 Miles from Manihi
George and Sue Stonecliffe
We arrived at the entrance to the pass here at Manihi at 9:00 a.m. Friday morning, May 8th which worked out well with s/v "Thumbs Up". They were about an hour ahead of us and were led into the pass first. Fernando, the local chieftan and guide led us in soon after we arrived. So glad we hired him to do this as the current ran out of the bay just like the rapids in Desolation Sound. With the engine at full throttle, we managed to maneuver around the whirlpools and past the rapids doing about a half a knot, 7 knots through the water. We passed over the 8' deep area and then motored over to where everyone else was anchored in front of the hotel in 35' of beautiful turquoise water and coral heads for snorkeling nearby.

It felt like setting up camp in a State Park thereafter, putting up our big awning that easily catches rainwater for us, getting the dinghy and kayak into the water, setting up the wind socks to bring a nice breeze into the cabin, and finally fixing lunch. Fernando gave us a couple of loaves of bread and a fresh grouper fish and arranged for us to go with him on a tour of a pearl farm that afternoon. George and I each received one very nice black pearl while at the farm. Mine was perfect, George's had a little bump on it, but still nice.

We've been enjoying the Black Pearl Resort at Manihi resort while here, using the pool and wifi, buying lunch and dinner. Tomorrow we have arranged to go SCUBA diving with a dive master. Others have told us how there are thousands of fish just outside the pass where we will go. All the fish wait there while the tide washes nutrients out of the lagoon. Some of the fish are quite large and we could see some small sharks.

Mother's Day we went to the Mormon Church service, enjoying the many families in attendance and singing hymns along with everyone. Apparently the elder who led the service said a prayer in French for us boaters who had come to visit them, praying for good weather. There was also a short sermon on the importance of family. Fernando, being one of the pillars of the church had invited us to come. We took Katie and Lee with us as the boat they are currently crewing on is staying here for a while. Nice to finally catch up with them again. We'll take them with us to Papeete if they are nearby when we go at the end of the month.

A little rain today washed down Julia Max finally. Wished we had had the gusher that fell on the little town on the other side of the lagoon. No place to get water ashore here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Julia Max
Vessel Make/Model: 45' Passport/Peterson Custom Ketch
Hailing Port: Portland, Oregon, USA
Crew: George and Sue Stonecliffe
About: The summer of 2024 will be spent heading north from Portland, OR to British Columbia, Canada; circumnavigating Vancouver Island, visiting Princess Louisa Inlet, and hopefully staying smoke free!
Julia Max's Photos - Main
Cruising through BC , Alaska, and home
18 Photos
Created 16 June 2022
2 Photos
Created 4 July 2017
8 Photos
Created 5 May 2011