Westsail 32: Kabuki

Getting Ready for our first voyage together.

10 September 2009
07 September 2009
03 September 2009 | Norsand
01 September 2009
27 August 2009
25 August 2009
20 August 2009
18 August 2009
13 August 2009
10 August 2009
05 August 2009 | Whangarei
29 July 2009
18 July 2009 | Home
14 July 2009 | Whangarei
06 July 2009
26 June 2009 | Capitaine Bougainville Theatre
24 June 2009 | Whangarei Library
21 June 2009 | Town Basin

Summer Holiday

13 January 2008 | Bay of Islands
Well we managed to get away for our holiday on the 27th of December. We were joined by our Son Jason and his girlfriend Tash. The passage up the coast from Whangarei to Whangamumu was calm and windless from Tutukaka onwards so we had to crank up the engine. We arrived at Whangamumu just on dark. Jason and Tash are into diving so we took them out for a dive and they came back with a lovely crayfish which was consumed with much gusto.
Onto to the Bay, we went around to Deep Water Cove for another dive, and another crayfish. We did not realise at the time that that was were they had sunk the Naval ship Canterbury ( for diving on).
Collected our other Son from Pahia and spent New Years in Russell, had a BBQ on the beach with some steaks from my sister Carol's farm (yum).
watched the fireworks at midnight over the water, they were amazing, the sound echoed around us over the water.
Jason and Tash left us to head back down to Palmerston North, we continued on with Xavier over to the Keri Keri Inlet, spent a couple of days there. Dropped Xavier off with Carol at Opito Bay, and we were free at last.
Spent the night in Russell again, anchored neared the yacht club. Spent our time watching the ships come in for the tall ships race. The next day we sailed into the channel and sat on the sidelines and watched the race, we held back with the Tall ships, Spirit of New Zealand, Soren Larsen, R Tucker Thompson. Was cool watching them sail, we managed to get fairly close to the Soren Larsen.
Spent the rest of our holiday heading back down the coast for home. Was a lovely time with some good sails and some sunshine and rain. Did not really want to come home.

Comments
Vessel Name: Kabuki
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32 #425
Hailing Port: Whangarei, New Zealand
Crew: Paul Bowling and Wendy Smith
About:
Paul and I have been sailing around Whangarei and the Bay of Islands for the last 14 years. We have owned a few boats in that time, ranging from a 20ft Trailer Sailer to a 36ft New Zealand built Eric Cox design yacht. [...]
Extra: Thought this would be a good way of keeping family and friends up to speed with our progress on getting Kabuki and ourselves ready for the big adventure.

Kabuki

Who: Paul Bowling and Wendy Smith
Port: Whangarei, New Zealand