Westsail 32: Kabuki

Getting Ready for our first voyage together.

10 September 2009
07 September 2009
03 September 2009 | Norsand
01 September 2009
27 August 2009
25 August 2009
20 August 2009
18 August 2009
13 August 2009
10 August 2009
05 August 2009 | Whangarei
29 July 2009
18 July 2009 | Home
14 July 2009 | Whangarei
06 July 2009
26 June 2009 | Capitaine Bougainville Theatre
24 June 2009 | Whangarei Library
21 June 2009 | Town Basin

Easter Break is over

12 April 2009 | Whangarei Heads
Cloudy but fine
Paul and I managed to get away on Thursday afternoon at about 4ish. We motored down the harbour to the Nook/Parua Bay and spent a quiet night. Friday we sailed off the anchor to Taurikura Bay at Whangarei Heads. (We had decided not to go to Great Barrier Island as the wind would have been on the nose the whole way.) Went up and visited Paul's Dad and Mum at Taurikura and had a lazy afternoon.
Saturday we decided to go out into Bream Bay and try out our Spinnaker/MPS.We sailed off the anchor over to Urquharts Bay, but then lost the wind while we were in amongst the moored boats. So we started the engine and motored out. We lollygagged around out there for about 2 hrs. And then the wind piped up and off we shot. The Spinnaker was a bloody beaut, we were going about 5.5 knots in about 10 knots of breeze.
We then decided to head over to the Hen and Chicks for a sail, the wind steadily increased as we went. On the way back we had to drop the Yankee as the wind picked up. Just under the Main and staysail we were doing 6.5 knots. Great sail, great day.
Back at Taurikura we got a call from Kevin (Paul's work fellow), He and Denise have a H28, they asked if we wanted to sail along with them on Sunday.
So up early Sunday morning, sailed out to the Bay and found them mooching around, then off we sailed. They beat us on the windward leg (without our Yankee up), but on the beam reach we raced home. Was another great days sail. Even though we got a bit of wind against tide in the Harbour entrance. Kevin and Denise joined us for drinks at Urquharts Bay, was a really nice day.
Motored home with the tide this morning, did not really want to come back.

Photo is of me helming the boat.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kabuki
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32 #425
Hailing Port: Whangarei, New Zealand
Crew: Paul Bowling and Wendy Smith
About:
Paul and I have been sailing around Whangarei and the Bay of Islands for the last 14 years. We have owned a few boats in that time, ranging from a 20ft Trailer Sailer to a 36ft New Zealand built Eric Cox design yacht. [...]
Extra: Thought this would be a good way of keeping family and friends up to speed with our progress on getting Kabuki and ourselves ready for the big adventure.

Kabuki

Who: Paul Bowling and Wendy Smith
Port: Whangarei, New Zealand