Westsail 32: Kabuki

Getting Ready for our first voyage together.

10 September 2009
07 September 2009
03 September 2009 | Norsand
01 September 2009
27 August 2009
25 August 2009
20 August 2009
18 August 2009
13 August 2009
10 August 2009
05 August 2009 | Whangarei
29 July 2009
18 July 2009 | Home
14 July 2009 | Whangarei
06 July 2009
26 June 2009 | Capitaine Bougainville Theatre
24 June 2009 | Whangarei Library
21 June 2009 | Town Basin

Queen's B'Day weekend

01 June 2009 | Whangarei Harbour
Paul and I managed to escape on Friday lunchtime for a long weekend on Kabuki. We motored down the harbour, on the out going tide, to Taurikura Bay. We spent two nights there, relaxing and watching all the boats go by. We walked up and visited Paul's Dad and Stepmum, who live at Taurikura.
On Sunday we sailed back up the harbour with the tide. The wind was fresh from the South West, the sun was shining it was beautiful. We decided to spend one night at The Nook (Parua Bay), there was a gale Southerly forecast, but it is quite sheltered in the nook (hence the name).
We anchored up and lazed around until John and Sue from Sir Francis sailed in. Over to Sir Francis for a cup of tea. Then it was dinner at our place.
All was going well, drinks, nibbles and good conversation, when in came the gale. A squall line came through knocking Kabuki over about 20 degree's, glasses went sliding, our dinghy was flipped (quite a heavy fibreglass one) and we lost our oars. John and Sue were understandably anxious about their boat. After about 1 hour the wind died down enough to flip the dinghy back over. Luckily the spare paddle was tucked in under the seat and was still there. Paul managed to paddle John and Sue back to their boat (all was well). After that the wind came in gust's all night, but nothing like that first squall.
After that bit of excitement we came home on Monday, a great sail up the harbour with a southerly of about 20 -25 knots. We got up to 6 knots out of Kabuki under the staysail alone.

Back at work today, but I am off for the rest of the week. I had a cortisone injection into the bursa of my shoulder today, in the hope of clearing up recurring pain and numbness. Once my shoulder is fixed I will be able to concentrate on dealing with the arthritis in my left hand. Both these injuries have been limiting my usefulness on the boat, helming has been a bit of a problem. But there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers
Comments
Vessel Name: Kabuki
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32 #425
Hailing Port: Whangarei, New Zealand
Crew: Paul Bowling and Wendy Smith
About:
Paul and I have been sailing around Whangarei and the Bay of Islands for the last 14 years. We have owned a few boats in that time, ranging from a 20ft Trailer Sailer to a 36ft New Zealand built Eric Cox design yacht. [...]
Extra: Thought this would be a good way of keeping family and friends up to speed with our progress on getting Kabuki and ourselves ready for the big adventure.

Kabuki

Who: Paul Bowling and Wendy Smith
Port: Whangarei, New Zealand